The Student Room Group

Multiple Mini Interviews(MMI)

Hello everyone, is there any advice you would give to prepare for this style of interview?
Reply 1
I had this type of style of interview as well. It was so unexpected. I wish i got some advice on how to prepare for this.
It depends what are you applying for?
Reply 2
Original post by RumanaG
I had this type of style of interview as well. It was so unexpected. I wish i got some advice on how to prepare for this.
It depends what are you applying for?

I am applying for medicine this year and I'm considering to apply to St George's.Thanks for your reply.
Have you done the UKCAT already and if so how was it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by saran23
Hello everyone, is there any advice you would give to prepare for this style of interview?

I would begin preparing generally for the interview, tips I give are:

1) print out your personal statement and highlight each sentence (because it is so word limited you will find each sentence has important information which can be elaborated on). Now for each sentence start trying to either in your head or on paper think of questions they may ask about it and start to elaborate on your points. At most interviews they will pick apart your personal statement and experiences extra curicularly, in work experience/voluntary work and with the why med questions. By going through this and elaborating on the points in your PS beforehand you will be unlikely to come to a blank.

2) get the ISC interview book and start going through thinking of answers to the possible question in there. it helps to practice these in front of friends/families or mirrors.

3) read a few medical related books. i.e. its nice to know a bit about medical ethics such as the gillick case, shipman trial etc. get some info into medical ethics and be prepared to answer scenario questions about ethics (such as the drunk medical student, mentally ill medical student) - this is very similar to the stuff asked of you in the SJT section of the UKCAT.

4) read up on the news often (especially in the week before your interview), I personally printed out cool news stories which were a bit more obscure and that I thought were good talking points about key healthcare issues such as community care etc. and make sure you have something good to say about them.

5) make sure you do a bit of prepping with mental maths because I know a lot of calculation stations seem to be cropping up with MMIs.

6) make sure you know about the medical school in question, and about the structure of the hospitals/general NHS structure.

7) ensure you know the basics of the new junior doctors contract/news surrounding this!

this is not comphrensive, but it helps. The most important thing in my opinion is mock interviews for MMIs so see if you can get one organised.
Original post by saran23
I am applying for medicine this year and I'm considering to apply to St George's.Thanks for your reply.

St George's have very stanadard stations e.g. like work experience, motivation and other role play stuff
In order to prepare for them, practice usual traditional questions that they can ask you like 'why medicine?' 'Why not nursing?' Etc
Then try and make sure your answers to these are approximately as long as the station lasts because you have to talk about it for that long. Some of the interviewers may ask you follow up questions but some may not.
In order to make your answers longer on the day, think of some anecdotes that you can talk in detail about

I liked MMIs more than traditional (for my medicine interviews) because I just liked the structure it gives (like one station is just based on work experience and the others on a different topic) it also means if you thought you did one station badly, you don't have to ever talk to that person again so you can move on.
Good luck!

Also St George's give interviews based on how high your UKCAT score was, mine was ~650 so I got my interview invitation in March
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Many thanks for all your replies and I will definitely take your advice on board.
Reply 7
Original post by Dr Cobbold
Have you done the UKCAT already and if so how was it

Posted from TSR Mobile

As I am seeking to transfer to the medicine course at St George's(4 year stream) from my current biomedical science degree, I am not required to take the UKCAT.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending