The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by frankielogue
democracy is tyranny by the majority. leave is the majority.

No, it isn't. Get back to class.
Original post by TelAviv
I thought these threads would be gone by now

These Remoaners have a lot to rant about. It won't die down anytime soon I'm afraid.
Reply 62
I watched many videos, read many pro-remain and pro-leave articles, and even people's posts on forums like this one. They all have one thing in common and that's the argument from the leave side stands up much stronger than the argument from the remain side. The democracy side of things absolutely nailed it for me. It's really weird how you can be so sure your view is the right view yet only 52% of the population share it.

I share the view that British Parliament should be held accountable for the laws and regulations imposed on the British people and that if we leave the EU we can then control these laws and regulations for our benefit within the world instead of EU controlling our trade policies etc. But a friend at work put forward a case for the EU by saying even though we pay into the EU, isn't it right that we help the other countries establish the economic power and infrastructure that we have to help the other people of Europe be on more an equal footing with us.

Does it simply depend whether you want countries to connect and become one, towards an eventual one world government (global equality?), or being a believer in sovereignty?
(edited 7 years ago)
Amazing, the state has brainwashed this child so hard that he wants a 2nd referendum so that the electorate will give an answer that satisfies the government.

Make no mistake, we're seeing the shadow of a dystopian dictatorship here.
The UK had a chance to vote on the issue. More than 1 million more people voted to leave the EU than voted to remain. If we had another referendum and the UK voted to remain, there would be a petition from the leave voters to get yet another referendum. This would lead to a cycle of constant voting, and then nothing would ever get accomplished or decided. It's like the Scotland independence vote, Scotland voted to stay in the UK, When the public votes, the result should be respected. I personally think there should be a time limit of at least 25 years placed on referendums on the same issues.
If there's ever a 2nd referendum there's a high chance that those who sat on their asses on the day and didn't vote cuz they didn't think the Leave side will win will come out and vote. And then the whole story will reverse. And that's what the Brexiters don't want to happen.
Reply 66
Will you accept a third referendum if the remainers manage to rig it properly the second time round?
Original post by DorianGrayism
No, it isn't. Get back to class.

it really is. majority rules over minority and is therefore tyranny by the majority.
Reply 68
Original post by ellie0497
So much democracy! Particularly with our unelected PM!

'We' don't elect the PM
Reply 69
Original post by ellie0497
So much democracy! Particularly with our unelected PM!

The pm was elected in their constituency just like pretty much every other pm this country has had, you should look at how this country's democratic system works.
Reply 70
Original post by Ambitious1999
I'm fed up of Brexiters.

We want a second referendum, its in the interests of the majority!

What 'we' want is for you and your tedious repetitive cohorts to stfu if that isn't too much trouble. TYVM
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by frankielogue
it really is. majority rules over minority and is therefore tyranny by the majority.

Yeh. I mean, if the majority want torture then they must definitely get it. Nothing stopping them in a democratic system like Rights or laws and etc.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Ambitious1999
I'm fed up of Brexiters harping on about democracy and that there should not be a second referendum.

Well if they are so confident of Britians hatred of the EU and so passionate about democracy then they should relish a second referendum.

But the reality is Brexiters are Scared of losing. They know fine well that a lot of Brexit voters now regret what they did. Many thought it would never happen. So take them aside.
Then among the Brexit voters are some realists who never thought of the mess that we are now in that soon all that may be left of the Great Britain they love is England totally on its own, without Scotland or NI or the protection of the EU. Take them aside and you've probably got less than 40% pro Brexit and over 60% remain.

Of that 40% you've got mostly retired people who arn't worried about recessions, unemployment or loss of EU funding of vocational training and further education, that's around 20% And of course nationalists and small minded racist bigots making up the rest.

We want a second referendum, its in the interests of the majority!

We don't need to be, we have won.
Original post by ABadManTing
We don't need to be, we have won.

Or have we all lost?
Original post by viffer
What 'we' want is for you and your tedious repetitive cohorts to stfu if that isn't too much trouble. TYVM

As May said to Corbyn at PM question time.
Original post by Supersaps
The public may well hate brexit by 2018, love it again by 2020 and despise it again at 2023. But it's not the job of the Government to change the course of the ship after every change of public opinion. Their job is to set a long-term course which may be adjusted over the years.

Sometimes you just have to take people at their word. We can't have people changing their minds every 5 mins.

A ship that spends 5 years going forward and then 5 years going backwards is in the same spot, despite sailing for 10 years!

Referendum != Neverendum.
SS

This post made me want to buy a boat
Original post by Foo.mp3
The matter was settled, Democratically. We remain open to the prospect of another referendum, further down the line, not RN

Good idea... no more discussing the poisoned chalice until after we've drunk it, regardless of how many skull and crossbones signs keep getting in the way.
Original post by lewis7
I watched many videos, read many pro-remain and pro-leave articles, and even people's posts on forums like this one. They all have one thing in common and that's the argument from the leave side stands up much stronger than the argument from the remain side. The democracy side of things absolutely nailed it for me. It's really weird how you can be so sure your view is the right view yet only 52% of the population share it.

I share the view that British Parliament should be held accountable for the laws and regulations imposed on the British people and that if we leave the EU we can then control these laws and regulations for our benefit within the world instead of EU controlling our trade policies etc. But a friend at work put forward a case for the EU by saying even though we pay into the EU, isn't it right that we help the other countries establish the economic power and infrastructure that we have to help the other people of Europe be on more an equal footing with us.

Does it simply depend whether you want countries to connect and become one, towards an eventual one world government (global equality?), or being a believer in sovereignty?

If by the population, you mean the electorate... only 31% actually. The polls so overwhelmingly predicted a remain victory that one in 20 remainers didn't bother to vote. They won't make the same mistake next time round and that's what Brexiteers fear!
Original post by Fugggggg :DDD
Amazing, the state has brainwashed this child so hard that he wants a 2nd referendum so that the electorate will give an answer that satisfies the government.

Make no mistake, we're seeing the shadow of a dystopian dictatorship here.

Rather than the one which satisfied the Nazi party, a charismatic clown in a bus and a few cranky extremists. Worked in 1933 as well, unfortunately.
Reply 79
Original post by Vinny C
Or have we all lost?

Don't bump old threads.

Latest

Trending

Trending