Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Frustrated with living situation and in-laws

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

I live with my long term partner in a two bedroom house in a suburban area- although the area is very rough around the edges, it's low-cost affordable living- but the point is, I live with my partner's best friend and my partners brother (whom incidentally is dating her best mate).

The problem is, her best friend doesn't like me- due to our fall out's and how I've treated her in the past (long story short; I was going through mental health issues and it tarnished our relationship). Because we live together her best mate is civil to me, and we talk but it's very surface level- and she's also very very sarcastic with a dry wit. Oftentimes, it causes offence- as she's somewhat cold toward me and indifferent to any issues I bring to the table.

Now, on to her brother- he is a bit 'holier than thou' or likes to think so- can be opinionated and doesn't like hearing other people's views. By this, I mean he dismisses you in a passive way. He likes the sound of his own voice, and only thinks his opinion is valid. As soon as I add comment, he shifts gears and then turns it into something else- rarely if at all, can we agree.

He cannot be wrong. Add to this, he makes remarks about the housework chores, and says I never wash up- and has told my partner that behind my back- stating I need to "be taught how to wash up as [us three] are the only ones that seem to bother". He fails to realise that actually I wash up, usually he is out. Many times, I've washed the kitchen to the point of scrubbing the sides and cooker top- and not a word is mentioned when I do.

I'm in a situation where I cannot upset any of them, because my partner is inevitably close to them- and while she's stuck up for me, she let's things slip and its getting to me.

Today I put my clothes in the dryer around 9am-ish (he's usually up at this point), and I came in around 10.30am to find my clothes were damp, so he'd obviously just turned it off mid cycle. He always makes remarks about the quality of washing up, and openly asked me: "Just wondering when you or [partner] were going to do some washing up?".

He swans about like he's head of house- when actually it was initially supposed to be a house for me and partner- not him and her best mate. The only reason they are both here is because she let them live here until they found a place.

This isn't even including the fact that I avoid going to see her parents at all costs, because her Dad is unbearably selfish and always talks about his own issues and is sarcastic to the point its dry humour and he is offensive.

There was a situation in which I was almost hurt, and while my partner was with me, she was away from danger. When she told him about it, he immediately asked her if she was okay- and didn't even bother to acknowledge the fact I was in the face of danger and remained largely indifferent to that. Basically lacked compassion - which is exactly how her brother is.

What advice would you offer to me?
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 14, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

I want...
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.