The Student Room Group

The 9/11 conspiracy debate

Has anyone heard of this group of university professors, other academics and students who support the idea that the US government were complicit in the events culminating in 9/11?

They have some very interesting theories and I am suprised that none of the TSR membership who take in interest in 'terrorism' have mentioned the group before. Perhaps I am the first to have come across it - but I doubt that somehow! :wink:

Have a look at the group's website:

http://www.st911.org/

Scroll to see replies

This has been dealt with extensively on TSR before, in at least a couple of very long threads.
Reply 2
Loony academics? Who would have guessed.
Reply 3
Bismarck
Loony academics? Who would have guessed.

Loony because they believe in something you don't?
Reply 4
For every conspiracy theory there is a counter theory. Yawn, I've read your posts, and I know you are better than this.

http://usinfo.state.gov/media/Archive/2005/Sep/16-241966.html
Reply 5
Merovingian
For every conspiracy theory there is a counter theory. Yawn, I've read your posts, and I know you are better than this.

Is that the best rebuttal you can find?

No evidence is needed, you just take their word as the truth?

Amazing how easily liars continue to have you convinced...
Merovingian

You had to link to the least trust-worthy page on the whole net: the US government's ?:confused:
Reply 7
Merovingian

I really don't understand your attitude to one trying to inform others of the existence of an organisation that disputes historical events. :confused:

...and the comment "...and I know you are better than this" is meant to convey what - apart from being incredibly patronising?
Reply 8
Even more information for you all!

This is the guy who heads up the academic 'think tank' on 9/11.

http://www.physics.byu.edu/research/energy/

FIMN said it - maddox does a good job to destroy the argument using swear words too.

I'm agnostic on this issue though - I don't entirely rule out the possibility that it could be a conspiracy, but I don't actually think it is.
I heard the makers of Loose Change and other theorists will be protesting outside at Ground Zero, with a huge following from others believing 9/11 was an inside job. Should be interesting, and will probably get some mass media attention.
Considering how these nutjobs are convinced that the government, intelligence, military et al would happily murder 3,000 Americans with no qualms at all they don't seem to be very worried about the same happening to them. They seem utterly unconcerned about this vast, powerful conspiracy bumping them off, which surely it could do with ease, if it existed. If I seriously thought the government was as corrupt and murderous as they say I wouldn't be running around the place splashing my face and views around to anyone who'll listen - I'd be worried that they'd come after me and I'd meet with an unfortunate "accident". But apparently these lunatics have no fear of that, probably because in their hearts they know their theories are a load of bull and this huge conspiracy simply doesn't exist.
This just in:

The 9/11 terrorist attack on America which left almost 3,000 people dead was an "inside job", according to a group of leading academics.

Around 75 top professors and leading scientists believe the attacks were puppeteered by war mongers in the White House to justify the invasion and the occupation of oil-rich Arab countries.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23365839-details/Fury+as+academics+claim+911+was+%27inside+job%27/article.do

The thing is, why all the conspiracy theories? Fair enough if you're some bored idiot with alot of time on your hands, but considering this is an intelligent group of people, it does raise questions.
Reply 14
This is a subject I have done extensive research into and something that I think people should open their eyes to. There are countless unanswered questions in the 9/11 investigation and many discrepancies which the us government have not answered to.

If you have a look at the pentagon crash site. Firstly the hijacker who supposedly took control of the plane and crashed it into the pentagon was not trained fully. Now you may be saying well you don't need to be trained in order to crash a plane HOWEVER - the plane would have had to have made a 260 degree tight turn in order to get into position to crash where it did - a manoevre whcih even the most skilled pilots would find tricky, secondly the plane would've had to fly inches from the ground above a highway, next to a gas station and over an area where there were hundreds of people - if this was the case then surely there would've been thousands of witnesses saying it was absolutely a boeing 757 belonging to UA? This wasn't the case as many people said they either saw a small white plane, a fighter plane, or said it happened too quickly for them to see...how can someone miss such an enormous plane? thirdly the wreckage site was simply not wide enough for a boeing 757 to have made...to make this even stranger there were hardly any parts of a boeing 757 that were found - it is not possible for such huge engines and wheels etc to be simply evaporated. Another oddity about this case is the fact that on the left hand side of the area where the plane flew into chairs and books and files etc were found unharmed yet no bodies of the passengers aboard the plane were found...something is simply not right...another thing was that the side of the building it hit was the only part of the pentagon which was pretty much unoccupied due to refurbishment ironically to make the walls stronger to survive an attack...if they had wanted to make maximum impact they would've flown directly into the pentagon from their original flightpath instead of making a 260 degree turn. Also why did FBI agents in suits get caught photographed collecting scraps of metal and debris from the site and removing it before the investigation started...this goes against standard protocol and effectively is disturbing first hand evidence in and investigation.

I know there are 2 sides to every story but I think more people should be open to the idea that 9/11 did not happen like we were originally told. The claims of speculation regarding the towers and the united 93 plane are even stranger and if you are interested I will be more than happy to tell you about it for you to form your own opinion.

I agree that it seems odd that the government would be able to construct such a large scale homegrown attack without word getting out but its not an impossible accusation and I personally believe its only a matter of time before we see this be reopened.
JonathanH
Considering how these nutjobs are convinced that the government, intelligence, military et al would happily murder 3,000 Americans with no qualms at all they don't seem to be very worried about the same happening to them. They seem utterly unconcerned about this vast, powerful conspiracy bumping them off, which surely it could do with ease, if it existed. If I seriously thought the government was as corrupt and murderous as they say I wouldn't be running around the place splashing my face and views around to anyone who'll listen - I'd be worried that they'd come after me and I'd meet with an unfortunate "accident". But apparently these lunatics have no fear of that, probably because in their hearts they know their theories are a load of bull and this huge conspiracy simply doesn't exist.

Surely bumping off theorists will only fuel speculation ? Which will in turn lead to more people believing the theories ? If it the US let 9/11 happened or even if was an inside job the last thing the government would want to do fuel even more speculation.

Especially since there are tons of polls out there showing a huge percentage of people are sceptical of the offical story. These theories are continually getting more support.

http://www.cnn.com/POLLSERVER/results/14340.exclude.html
http://www.zogby.com/search/ReadNews.dbm?ID=855
http://www.rawstory.com/news/2006/Less_than_half_of_Americans_satisfied_0523.html

But this could just show the ignorance of the American public regarding the repercussions of 9/11. 70% of Americans think Saddam Hussein had something to do with 9/11; even though Bush himself admitted it didn't.
Reply 16
mshar
Loony because they believe in something you don't?

I got negged twice for saying this. I know exactly who they are, if only they'd be a little less obvious.
Reply 17
yawn
Has anyone heard of this group of university professors, other academics and students who support the idea that the US government were complicit in the events culminating in 9/11?

They have some very interesting theories and I am suprised that none of the TSR membership who take in interest in 'terrorism' have mentioned the group before. Perhaps I am the first to have come across it - but I doubt that somehow! :wink:

Have a look at the group's website:

http://www.st911.org/

Oddly enough I was listening to a Dr.Jones, Professor of Physics at Brigham Young University on NPR yesterday. When pressed for a motive for the conspiracy he suggested it might be the work of the "Internationl Banking Cartel" and unsurprisingly the first guest to call in wasted no time in accusing him of anti-semitism and complaining about how the Jews are blamed for everything.
Intelligentsia
The thing is, why all the conspiracy theories? Fair enough if you're some bored idiot with alot of time on your hands, but considering this is an intelligent group of people, it does raise questions.

Considering there are hundreds upon hundreds of American universities employing tens (perhaps hundreds) of thousands of academics, getting 75 together to back the same conspiracy theory wouldn't be too difficult, especially considering that US Academia is well known for it's liberal, and recently, vehemently anti-Bush attitudes. I am certain that if anyone were inclined they could find many times that number of academics whose studies and research have led them to dismiss the crackpot theories of the conspiracy-loons.
Reply 19
JonathanH
Considering there are hundreds upon hundreds of American universities employing tens (perhaps hundreds) of thousands of academics, getting 75 together to back the same conspiracy theory wouldn't be too difficult, especially considering that US Academia is well known for it's liberal, and recently, vehemently anti-Bush attitudes. I am certain that if anyone were inclined they could find many times that number of academics whose studies and research have led them to dismiss the crackpot theories of the conspiracy-loons.

Not at Brigham Young they aren't - it's the most conservative academic institution in the most conservative state in the country.

Latest

Trending

Trending