Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

Hi I recently stopped taking my pill. When i say recently, almost 3 weeks ago.

I was under the impression that it usually takes a good couple of months to start getting normal periods again?

I am a little concerned, as on Saturday evening I had some "spotting" it lasted only about 2 hours, it wasn't usual period colour as it was brown and there wasn't much of it at all. Would this have been my withdrawal bleed?

I have had unprotected sex with my partner on a number of occasions since stopping my pill. It isn't the end of the world if i end up falling now, i just had hoped that it wouldn't happen until September time.

I have been having slight cramps and have tender boobs (nothing excessive) as if I am going to come on but nothing as yet. I feel horribly sick and extremely hot, although temp yesterday was 37.2 and this morning 36.5 so nothing abnormal really. I did a pregnancy test this morning at about 10am which came back negative but I don't know if i am testing at the right time as I don't know where I am in my cycle.

Can anyone tell me if the above symptoms are common when coming off Cerelle? And when they recommend me testing again? I did some Sainsburys Ovulation test strips last week and I only got faint result line which i understand to be negative as they are not as dark as the control line.

If anyone can shed any light and make me feel less anxious about the situation that would be great.

Thank you

Different women have different experiences when going on or coming off hormonal contraception.

But as it was a progesterone-only pill, it stopped protecting you against pregnancy within a couple of days after stopping taking it, so it's possible you could be pregnant now. If you are, a test should say so in a fortnight (at most - it will depend on when it happened).
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 15, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What were/are your predicted grades?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.