The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

What is worse: criticising someone for their religion or their race

Scroll to see replies

Religion is a choice
Race isn't
You don't choose your race but you do choose your religion.
Original post by Craig1998
If it was a forced choice, I'd pick race purely because of the suggestions other users have posted, that it is determined from birth, and religion isn't.

However, I believe they're as bad as eachother as criticising somebody for something as petty as religion or race just shows how much of an ******** you are, and how you're failing to look deeper into who that person is (i.e. you can get religious people like Abu Bakr al-Bagdadi who'll use their religion for bad, and then you can nice religious people like Nadiya Hussain who'll show there's good in every group).

Not really petty, religion often forms a big part of someone's identity.
Criticising race is worse.

Original post by oShahpo
Both are bad because both are quite ignorant stances.
You see, with most Abrahamaic religions, you can pretty much pick and choose whatever you want and still be called Muslim/Christian/Jew. In fact, for Christianity all you have to do is believe in Jesus, and for Islam all you have to do is give money to the poor and do a few silly rituals. The fact that a person is a Muslim, devout or not, tells you nothing about which parts of the Quran or the Hadith they follow. However, it does tell you one thing, whenever I see a nice Muslim, I can make the correct conclusion that they're either intellectually dishonest with themselves, cognitively dissonant, ignorant about Islam or just plain stupid, for if you're going to cherry pick the nice things then why the hell do you need to be a Muslim then? But then again I remember how strong indoctrination is when it comes to religion and it all kinda make sense.

Or that nice Muslim is not ignorant but just follows a different interpretation of the one you believe Islam to be.
Original post by Jibola240
Not really petty, religion often forms a big part of someone's identity.

Couldn't find the right word to use so I used petty, I hope you get the idea of what I'm saying though.
If by "criticise someone's race", you mean use racial information to draw unfounded/prejudgemental conclusions about their character, then I'd vote "race". Since are we free agents, the sum total of one's character ("personality") cannot be easily summarized by hereditary information like ethnic background. But if you mean criticise sub-cultures within a racial demographic, eg black underclass in the US, then that's more reasonable but social acceptability depends on your audience.

If we're talking about criticising the religious ideology, that is purely based on reason on whether the ideology is acceptable/compatible with modern civilised society - it's not about discriminating against its followers, but most people find it quite a sensitive topic because it's so personal. I consider it perfectly fine if your audience can think critically without letting their feelings get in the way.

EDIT - I forgot, the phrasing of the title says "criticise someone for their..." in which case, it depends. If you criticise the beliefs and actions of Muslims, that's okay - but criticising Muslims in and of itself without making the distinction is less okay, because that's only one step removed from the hatred and discrimination involved with racism.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Legendary Quest
What do you mean? Criticising a person purely because of their race is wrong. Criticising a religion is fine but if you are doing it simply to undermine a person then that is wrong too.

I disagree. You shouldn't judge someone that quickly. Let's use Islam as an example. There are many questionable things written both in the hadiths and the Quran but some of the nicest people I have met and most of my close friends are Muslims (and they take their religion quite seriously). With religion, it really does depend on how people interpret it. Some take the words literally and turn into 'extremists' whilst others focus more on the pleasant parts and turn out to be great individuals.

I suppose then it depends whether their version of the doctrine is compatible with modern views - the moderates who believe in the existence of God but not necessarily the infallibility of prophets/doctrine are acceptable people, but those who are more divorced from reality by accepting fundamentalist views are less valued in our society.
I'd say race is worse. Simply because you can't change it(unless you're MJ) I mean religion isn't necessarily a chosen thing, if you're born into a particular religion then regardless of how much you believe in it, it becomes a part of who you are, I find those who change their religion have particularly strong views on religion and those who don't have particularly strong views tend to keep the religion (or atheism) they were born into.
Original post by champ_mc99
Criticising race is worse.

Or that nice Muslim is not ignorant but just follows a different interpretation of the one you believe Islam to be.

There is no nice interpretation of asking your soldiers to tear the arms and legs of your enemies, whoever they were.
Original post by KingBradly
Which is worse? Criticizing someone for the religion they follow or the skin colour they are born with?

They both count as bigotry.
It's fine to criticse a religion in the abstract. But it's not acceptable to hate someone just simply for being a religion. Ie, saying 'we should ban all Muslims' is just as bigoted as saying 'we should ban all whites/blacks'.

Often religions are as much to do with culture, background a a way someone hasbeen brought up as they are to do with genuine belief in a deity.
Original post by BaconandSauce
You don't choose your race but you do choose your religion.

What about little kids brought up in religion who've been brainwashed to believe and follow it?

They don't really 'choose' it in the normal sense of having free will.
Original post by Bornblue
What about little kids brought up in religion who've been brainwashed to believe and follow it?

They don't really 'choose' it in the normal sense of having free will.

When they are older they can choose.

But yes brainwashing children is clearly wrong but doesn't negate the fact a person religion is a choice
When they are older they can choose.

But yes brainwashing children is clearly wrong but doesn't negate the fact a person religion is a choice

They can, but often it's been so ingrained in them that their free will is really hampered. If you're told day in day out that something is true and that if you don't beleive in it you'll go to hell and your family will disown you, it makes it not so black and white.

Bringing someone up in religion is clearly brainwashing but the blame should be pointed at the religion itself rather than the victims of brainwashing.
They can, but often it's been so ingrained in them that their free will is really hampered. If you're told day in day out that something is true and that if you don't beleive in it you'll go to hell and your family will disown you, it makes it not so black and white.

Bringing someone up in religion is clearly brainwashing but the blame should be pointed at the religion itself rather than the victims of brainwashing.

Then as a society we have much more to do to bring this message to the abused victims of this backwardness

They need to know and be supported in their own choice and those who deny them their choice should be dealt with severely.
Then as a society we have much more to do to bring this message to the abused victims of this backwardness

They need to know and be supported in their own choice and those who deny them their choice should be dealt with severely.

It's the reason I think all faith schools should be banned and turned into secular schools. Faith schools are among the biggest culprits in brainwashing.
It's the reason I think all faith schools should be banned and turned into secular schools. Faith schools are among the biggest culprits in brainwashing.

Completely agree with you and school children also need to be actively taught that this is a choice they can make for themselves.
Reply 36
Why do you need to criticize?
Original post by mrahim
Why do you need to criticize?

because of empathy with the victims and a dislike of the ideology that promotes slaughter such as this.

but tell why we shouldn't
Reply 38
because of empathy with the victims and a dislike of the ideology that promotes slaughter such as this.

but tell why we shouldn't

The verses of the quran these so called muslims follow are taken completely out of context. These are stories from 1400 years ago. When people were at old school battles. What battle are these delinquents fighting? These are just excuses to die and kill people and appease the people pulling the strings. Similiar stories I can find about in about the bible. Can find out more if you care about it.
Oh the answers of this pool. Mr OP you got what you wanted.

Some people are indeed absolute fools running on a very different moral belief system to us...

Latest

Trending

Trending