Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Why is actuary often called one of the "best jobs" but banking isn't?

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

A lot of these career websites are calling the job of an actuary one of the best jobs in the world. But how is being actuary better than being a banker in, say, ECM? It pays better, it has better exit opportunities, not as intellectually hard, is more exciting, you can talk to clients more. Actuaries probably work longer as well at the start since they need to study for exams although bankers and traders don't. The only thing that an actuary has going for him against a banker is job security and that's probably why banker is not on the list.

I know this seems like a rant but I'm just trying to start a discussion as to why certain jobs are considered the "best".

I'd say an actuary definitely does have a better work-life balance than a banker. They do work quite long hours, especially at the start of their career when they're studying for exams, but overall from what I've heard the work isn't as stressful. Also, an actuarial career being intellectually stimulating is a positive quality- actuaries tend to like solving problems and analysing data and number crunching. Overall, I get a feeling that a higher percentage of actuaries genuinely love their work than bankers since a lot of them go into banking for the pay or for the exit opps.

The hours are longer as a banker even with the exam study an actuary has to do plus you get given days off to study. It's also far less competitive and after qualifying you can be on over £60000 a year working 40 hour weeks with more holidays.

The criteria US Jobs uses puts high emphasis on low stress.

This isn't necessarily indicative of having a desirable job, though. Studies show short busts of stress are good, because you feel you've achieved. Chronic stress isn't.

Most of these lists suck. Even looking at the 'highest paying jobs' list most newspapers write, you can instantly tell they're flawed.

Apart from that, actuaries have a decent ramp up in pay (better than their accountant counterparts) and the cap is very generous. As others have said, actuarial work is less stressful and more conducive to work-life balance; finance on the other hand, is for people who want to work hard and enjoy finance. Financiers make many times as much as actuaries or accountants do at almost every step of the way up and have a much higher earnings cap (or in some cases, there is no cap - i.e. hedge fund owners).

At the end of the day, it depends what your priorities are.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 14, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Useful resources

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.