The Student Room Group

Uni options

I'm really struggling trying to decide what university course I want to study, I was wondering if anyone knew of any websites that offer quizzes or advice about what course would suit you?
Hi!

I personally want to do Computer Science, so doing the GCSE/A-Level of the same name helped me decide it was the course I wanted to do. However, I appreciate that with certain degrees you may not do that subject itself and have little idea of what the subject entails before university.

A lot of friends I know where able to do a list of pros and cons of their A-Level subjects to rule out certain degrees. For example, do you enjoy essay style exams? Are you more motivated doing coursework or do you like having regular tests/exams? Do you like practical lessons? Do you want lots of contact time? Etc.

Also, think of your actual interests and don't feel that you have to do something you do at A-Level, such as Law, which doesn't necessarily require you to do Law A-Level.

You can find a variety of websites which can help you narrow down courses, such as:
http://university.which.co.uk/a-level-explorer
http://www.bestcourse4me.com/explore/?Tab=ALevel

I don't know what year you're in, but, if you're able to travel, maybe try going to some university open days? It doesn't have to be at a university you're choosing just yet, so maybe go to the most local universities and try and have a look at a variety of subject departments. University course content varies place to place, but the basics are pretty universal (e.g. I'm sure every Music degree requires some sort of audition/practical elements).

Sorry I can't be of more help! And, if you make a decision and it doesn't work out, it's not the end of the world, you can change courses. Don't try and force a course decision, hopefully the choice will be made clear organically. If you're really stuck and pressed for time, maybe try talking to your subject teachers and/or tutor? They can offer great advice. :smile:

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest