Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

If you have just left college with no qualifications, trust me; you're not alone.

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

I frequently hear students and young people worrying about their futures, careers and aspirations, as if their lives are about to end. All I can say is this; don't worry. Just, chill, out.

Now, the one thing that you have to remember, is that you are under 21 (most of you, anyway), meaning you can do literally ANYTHING. And take it from a 17 year old lad who failed school and college. You still have time, and a lot of it. You just have to know where to start.

So you have left college, you've had no prior jobs and nothing on your cv. with only one thing on your mind, you ask yourself, what now? Well, this is where it gets...fun.

Go out into the city (or seaside town if you're like me), do your research and find a trade. That's right, a trade. Plumbing, electrics, signage, mechanics; the possibilities are endless. Just find some companies and compare them in terms of your interests. *HINT* (you can normally find these in industrial estate or unit blocks)
    Now you have your eye on a firm or establishment, don't approach them yet. Go home. Shower. Floss. The whole shabang. Tailor a cv to the company specifically. Lets take a Sign-writing company for example. Say things like "extremely practical and eager to learn new skills, along with a fantastic eye for detail". Got it all done? Then queue the music. ("Now Playing Royal Blood - Out of the Black") Lets do this.

Waltz in with confidence, a fresh smile and a good attitude, and ask if they would take you on as an apprentice in training. From there, if they agree, you will get your foot in the door to a whole new ball game. This means that you can learn a trade, a specific job to give you opportunities that you'd never before even dreamt of having. By the best part of a few years, you can leave the trade to find a larger one, or start your own with a qualification in that trade.

It all starts now. With you. Not your parents. Not your friends, and certainly not your pet rabbit. You. So get out there in the big wide world, and take hold of your future. Who knows. Maybe I will be working for you someday.

Your neighbourhood friend,

Tim xx

You seem like a lovely person!
    Good on you for encouraging!!!

Very nice, motivating and encouraging post as I imagine a lot of students on TSR feel this way. Thank you for this post, hope it helps to anyone who needed it
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 14, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.