The Student Room Group

What made you decide your chosen career path?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by teenhorrorstory
Curious to read some of your epiphanic moments(or perhaps not) :lol:

Although money was a factor for me (obvious), I've always wanted to make a successful career such as job satisfaction, how well the employer treats me and recognising my skills and qualities, ultimately offering me a promotion.
Original post by Boreism
Although money was a factor for me (obvious), I've always wanted to make a successful career such as job satisfaction, how well the employer treats me and recognising my skills and qualities, ultimately offering me a promotion.

Which career is this? :smile:
Original post by teenhorrorstory
Which career is this? :smile:

Training Officer. Becoming a Manager very soon.

I love my job because a huge part of it involves helping people get on the career ladder. It's extremely rewarding. :smile:
Reply 43
Original post by Foo.mp3
Destiny.

You want to be a full time gamer? :biggrin:
Reply 44
Original post by Boreism

I heard somewhere that a chief actuary can make over 200k. And that's rated as the best job of 2014.
Enjoyment. And it's physics.
Reply 46
Chosen career path hahahahaha I'm nearly 24 and I haven't yet chosen a career path but I'll come back and post when I do decide
Law because of TV, the "reputation" and "prestige" that goes with it (to those who have never actually worked in law).

I'm 3 years deep into becoming a Cilex Lawyer and have been a paralegal for that time, from the age of 18. The firm pay all my training costs also.

Yet despite this, I'm leaving and going to uni next year to study psychology which has always been a big interest of mine. Both forensic and counselling, alongside teaching are all paths to choose.

So in summary, 50k debt and poor living next 5 years vs qualified lawyer in 2.5 years and having enough for a first flat deposit and no debt.

Its been an easy choice to go for the former.

Working in a office shuffling papers, at the demand of clients in a dying profession, where you live to work, not work to live gets boring and tiresome very very fast (to be really successful you must dedicate your life, social and relationships to the Law - no thanks)
I'm a friendly, caring person who loves to help people, especially in regards to health issues. When I was young, I use to consider medicine, pharmacy or even optometry, but then I realised it's "way out of my league", and is just not suited for me.

When flicking through the University prospectus, my sister suggested the Dietetics degree. At first I thought it was like food technology at College where all you learn is how to cook. However, after some deeper research I found it really fascinating. The fact how the food we can eat impact our health greatly inspired me to learn more about it, and use the knowledge learnt in a clinical/ community setting as a Dietitian.

Dietitian work with a range of patients without different conditions such as: cystic fibrosis, diabetes, Hiv .....
They provide practical advice to help people make better lifestyle choices. What we're not aware of is how our lifestyle can impact our health..

Okay I think I should stop now or I can go on and on... :biggrin:
- the environment (smart colleagues, fast paced industry, high stakes)
- high levels of responsibility very early on
- industry changing deals and transactions or advice
- being an information broker of sorts
- analytical challenge
- client interaction
- affinity for numbers but not necessarily 'maths'
- growth potential is muuuuuuuucccch faster than 'normal' jobs
- 'big picture' thinking

all of the above applies to investment banking and consulting

money is really an after thought tbh, if you're good at what you do it'll come

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Interest stemmed from GCSE/Alevel/Degree level.
Anyone who doesn't say money is either lying or off their rocker.
Well, not fully decided but pretty much narrowed it down. Numerous weeks of work experience helped me knock off career sectors.

It'll be either Technology or Consulting. I enjoy learning about technology and I like web design and programming. As for consulting, it seems interesting and there is an element of travel usually, which I like (apparently there's a fair bit, which might actually be bad). I am a bit unsure whether or not I will like the lifestyle.

I did want to go into pharmacy, but a week of work experience put me off. Retail is awful. Media and marketing also turned out to be much less interesting than I thought. Banking seems meh, especially after 'interesting' anecdotes from members of my family who work in banks.
Nothing, except blind luck and that weird thing called life, which - through several winding, odd, random, convoluted decisions and manifestations of fate - dumped me in my currect predicament.

The best job in the world.

Not the one i ever imagined, not what i studied for, not what i applied for. But here i am.
Fingers crossed the current 'happy life' course stays true, steady and has a good run :smile:

Reasons? Stress, satisfaction, responsibility, endless travel, clients who love me and my love for what i do, changin peoples lives and money. All positives (and that includes the stress).
Original post by Princepieman

money is really an after thought tbh, if you're good at what you do it'll come

Ain't that the truth :smile:

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest