Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Economics or Politics AS Level? Please Help! :)

Announcements Posted on
Last day to win £100 of Amazon vouchers - don't miss out! Take our quick survey to enter 24-10-2016

Hey TSR,I'm currently going into lower 6th this year and I've chosen to do Politics for AS, however I'm having serious second thoughts about doing it after doing some work experience and just thinking over the Summer.I'm currently doing English Lit, Geography and RS for AS which I don't intend to change. I was just wondering how much maths is involved in Economics (because I'm not a huge fan of it). I really love human geography which I've heard can help with Economics as they both link quite nicely. Has anyone here done both that can maybe help me out? Which one do you prefer? It's a really tough decision because I'd really like to do both, but I can't! Many Thanks everyone

A load of people at my school dropped out of Economics, the teachers are brilliant but many found the course much harder than politics, personally I enjoyed politics!

Not much maths is involved in AS Economics, just some calculations for percentage change and elasticity stuff. You do need statistics for A2. In my opinion, economics is probably the easier subject comparing to politics. All you need to do is practice past papers. On the other hand, politics requires a lot of essay practice. It was quite difficult for me to do two sets of question (5, 10, 25) in 1 hour 20 minutes and beware, there is a 40 marker in paper 2 (edexcel). So personally I prefer economics (also, there are cgp revision guides for economics but none for politics)

Hi, I study Government and Politics Edexcel and I've just finished my first year and I'm going into a2 now

In my opinion, it's a great subject I would say to anyone to take it because it really is interesting and it is valued by university's. If you are honestly interested in politics then I would say take it. These are the topics I did for AS:
    Democracy, electoral systems, pressure groups, political parties, the cabinet, judges, the constitution and parliament.

If you are good at essay writing then this is a good choice for you, because there's a lot of essay writing involved in my course (may differ for you depending on exam board ect) the marks are 5,10,25 and 40 - don't worry though you only have to do one forty marker for the whole exam. There's major choice during the exam too - lots and lots of multiple choice sections. Also, for the first exam you learn 4 sections but don't necessarily need to learn all 4.

Economics I don't do but my friend does and she struggles with the maths in it.

Hope this helped

Posted from TSR Mobile
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 20, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather find

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.