The Student Room Group

Why aren't more Muslims doing anything to combat terrorism?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by jake4198
- There are 1.2 million front-line police officers in the United States.
- There are five million Muslims in France.

But that is a false equivalency. Black men commit over 50% of the the United States' murders and also account for over 25% of all crime, even though they represent just 6% of the population.

If we just take raw data, the number of killings last year of black men by police officers as a gross ratio was 1:11765. The number of killings last year of French people last year by Muslims as a gross ratio was 1:35211.

However, when we take away the number of unarmed shootings that were deemed justified, only 8 were deemed unlawful. The ratio changes to 1:150000.

How many French Muslims committed terrorist attacks last year?If we go with the number of people killed instead of the number of perpetrators then it would have made more sense to hold doctors responsible for the actions of Harold Shipman, or to hold Norwegians Christians responsible for Breivik.
An extremist muslim will kill you, a moderate muslim will want the extremist to kill you.
Original post by Antediluvian
An extremist muslim will kill you, a moderate muslim will want the extremist to kill you.

Terrible opinion.

We are OP, you just don't see it because it's behind the scenes. There has to come a point where we wash our hands of these nobheads anyway.
Original post by nutcase13
I agree with the first point however if you have someone expressing the view "to kill all westerners", regardless of whether they have acted on it or not i think its safe to say they should be removed from society in some form or another.

Also the number of staff etc that intelligence services employ is irrelevant, for example GCHQ also has around a similar number of staff yet im sure we are all being spied upon some way or another.

Disagree to both.

Freedom of speech exists in this country, people can say whatever they like. As with anything, context is important but so is ongoing behaviour. The guy who complained about delays at an airport and then tweeted that he'd "blow it sky high" was clearly joking, yet got hauled before the courts a number of times.

And no, only the paranoid would think that. It's precisely because they have so few people working there that they have to put their resources where they do the most good through focused application, rather than blanket surveillance. How the hell could a couple of hundred people even begin to look at 60 million plus people? It's completely irrational to think they could. And, what's most ironic, is the people who think they could are also the kinds to think that every government department is woefully inefficient and crap at their job....but then this one random is suddenly the most efficient organisation in the world. That point of view makes no sense whatsoever.
Original post by Drewski
Disagree to both.

Freedom of speech exists in this country, people can say whatever they like. As with anything, context is important but so is ongoing behaviour. The guy who complained about delays at an airport and then tweeted that he'd "blow it sky high" was clearly joking, yet got hauled before the courts a number of times.

And no, only the paranoid would think that. It's precisely because they have so few people working there that they have to put their resources where they do the most good through focused application, rather than blanket surveillance. How the hell could a couple of hundred people even begin to look at 60 million plus people? It's completely irrational to think they could. And, what's most ironic, is the people who think they could are also the kinds to think that every government department is woefully inefficient and crap at their job....but then this one random is suddenly the most efficient organisation in the world. That point of view makes no sense whatsoever.

Think about it though, if you were to send a facebook message to your mate where you discuss plotting an attack of course you will be flagged by staff. Regardless of how many employees they have they can track whoever they like and can flag whoever they like, and this isn't me with a tinfoil hat speaking, you would be naive to think otherwise, now in this particular attack i agree it would have been virtually impossible to monitor this person since he likely acted alone.

And also, just because freedom of speech exists doesn't mean it can be abused. If i was boarding a plane and the person next to me said they would "blow it sky high" heck i'd make sure that person is kicked out. This soft approach of freedom of speech is exactly why extremists can thrive in society since people with authority in certain religions can preech whatever they like and spread hate whenever they like without fear of punishment since at the end of the day its "freedom of speech". And then we wonder why extremism prevails...
Reply 25

That is my opinion too
Everytime Muslims want or try do somethin to make it better, another event happens. It's pointless trying to stop these lunatics. And it's pointless trying to stop people like u discriminating cos u just won't shove off. All you want is rule for yourself.
Original post by Drewski
There's a massive degree of difference between someone who has a view that you may find unpleasant and someone acting on that view.

There's also only so much that the security services can do. You can't watch everyone constantly just because they follow an IS Twitter account (for example).

People seem to have this idea that agencies like MI5 are enormous departments with tens of thousands of officers all over the country. The reality is they (MI5) barely have 5000 employees and the overwhelming majority of these will be support staff.

"Known to the police" can mean anything and is invariably taken out of context.

Maybe stop wasting money on silly IT projects then?
Original post by Defraction
Where is your proof? There is no point generalising saying 'a lot of Muslims' think that and do that when you have no clear evidence to validate your opinion.

Here's a lovely 200-page report for you on what Muslims around the world think:

http://www.pewforum.org/files/2013/04/worlds-muslims-religion-politics-society-full-report.pdf

Is this clear enough evidence for you? Probably not. I can imagine you'll just ignore it and spew some more crap about 'generalising' and 'no clear evidence to validate my opinion'. Over 50% of British Muslims think homosexuality should be illegal but there's no point saying 'a lot of Muslims', right?
Original post by ubiquitousking
The % of the population that you said they make up is actually wrong. It's somewhere along the lines of 13%.

I did read a particularly good point being brought up, though. Whereby black communities/people were more likely to be stopped by police (biases existing post CRM -- it's bizarre to think that the biases just disappeared into thin air), ergo the police are more likely to catch criminals who are black. Then, because they have caught a disproportionately high number of criminals who are black, they put more emphasis on patrolling black areas. This then repeats itself.

It's not necessarily correct to assume that black people just commit more crime, it could be that individuals (from other race) are just not being caught or considered with as much fervour.

If a particular demographic commits more crime then of course the police are going to disproportionally target them. We shouldn't expect law enforcement officers to refrain from racial profiling just because it panders to political correctness. Police are more likely to patrol more deprived neighbourhoods - and black Americans are more likely to live in poor areas as a result of poverty and low-income.

The US's black population is 12.6%. The number of black men is therefore 6.3%. Black men committed 98% of murders committed by black Americans last year and 52% of all murders as a whole.
???? You telling me that Orlando shooters father new he was on Grindr? How we supposed to know how mentally unstable a person in our community is and what their intentions are, there's something called acting one way but being another. Ever been introduced to that?

I dont want to kill you are anyone.
Original post by ubiquitousking
The point I mad went over your head? Furthermore, I can't see the relevance of political correctness in what I wrote, largely because it's irrelevant. I can explain again, if you want.

Point me to the statistic, please (from an official source/stats organisation or whatnot)?

Black Americans make up 12.6% of the United States' population.

Black men therefore make up 6.3% of the population.

Black Americans committed 2,693 murders last year out of a total of 5,703 murders in total.

Black Americans therefore committed 47% of the country's murders.

Men were responsible for 5,012 of these total murders.

Black men were responsible for 2,356 of the total murders.

Black men were therefore responsible for 41.3% of all murders.

Source: https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2014/crime-in-the-u.s.-2014/tables/expanded-homicide-data/expanded_homicide_data_table_6_murder_race_and_sex_of_vicitm_by_race_and_sex_of_offender_2014.xls

I'm sure we can both agree these are appalling statistics.
Original post by TheTechN1304
Here's a lovely 200-page report for you on what Muslims around the world think:

http://www.pewforum.org/files/2013/04/worlds-muslims-religion-politics-society-full-report.pdf

Is this clear enough evidence for you? Probably not. I can imagine you'll just ignore it and spew some more crap about 'generalising' and 'no clear evidence to validate my opinion'. Over 50% of British Muslims think homosexuality should be illegal but there's no point saying 'a lot of Muslims', right?

Hmmm, I guess so. All I have to say religion is not what it used to be, it is simply corrupt. It's better for us all to follow our own beliefs rather collectively doing so.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending