Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Discontent with life. Advice?

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

So my family life isn't that great. My parents argue a lot, my sister is very controlling and lectures a lot, she also shouts a lot. This has been going on for years. Im usually the target of these lectures because I'm always up in my room and don't smile often, don't mingle etc. So Im given a long ass lecture to stay downstairs - I get that it's their house their rules and I have to listen to the grown ups who are always right about everything and know everything, but seriously, my sister CANNOT shut her gob. She lectures about everything and it drives me insane. She's been at it for years. Years.

I don't want to ever be like them when I'm older. I never want to shout at anyone or be angry all the time over petty ****. If I ever dare to voice my opinion (that I don't like all the bickering or lecturing that goes on) I'm seen as a ***** brat that shouldn't have an opinion because I'm too young, and shouldn't ever answer back to someone older than them.

I don't know. I've been controlled my whole life by my sister. Shes a lot older than me and honestly, I've always been scared of going against her. I always thought she was right about everything. She's so used to being right and everyone bending to her will. I never thought I could get away from her control or that people exist out there who aren't being controlled all the time (heyho, I figured out from my friends that some people actually have some freedom).

Im seventeen btw. I'm moving out next year September for university. Anyone who was in a similar situation and got out of being controlled so much? All I want is to be happy and successful and free. I don't want people like her in my life but I don't want to be the one to, idk, rip apart the family by leaving 'home' in a bad way. Am I even making sense lol

Sorry for the long post. Advice would be appreciated

Eugh. I seem like a brat. Plus that post was really long. Sorry again :/

Maybe your sister is having a rough time if I haven't misunderstood anything. I am not sure what she is going through but I would say just try to put yourself in her shoes. And when there is a time that you guys aren't arguing, just talk to her calmly and asks why she did what she did. At this point, I reckon a talk is very important. It is not wrong to have your own opinion; just talk to your family properly about how you feel. I hope everything works out for you as every cloud has a silver lining. There are other people who go through a even rougher time, so I think you should stay optimistic as things will eventually work out for you.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 17, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.