The Student Room Group

Why is France constantly targeted by extremism?

As you all know there have been multiple high profile terrorist attacks in France recently, most notable was of course the Paris attacks and the truck attack in Nice yday.

However Germany, Britain, Switzerland, Hungary, Denmark, all these countries have had no major terrorist attacks and yet France has. Why?

Don't say because the face veil is banned because Russia has banned hijabs, not just face veils, in some regions, Switzerland has banned them in some regions, several towns in Italy have banned face veils and Barcelona in Spain. Turkey and Belgium have also banned face veils to some extent but they aren't the best examples for obvious reasons.

So, why France? What is it, ghettos? Poverty? Security services failing? Inferior prevention?

Surely according to a lot of people on TSR Germany would be a big target because they accepted so many refugees, these refugees are terrorists according to the majority of right wingers (I'm right winger but don't believe this), and yet France has experienced so much more horror.

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Because they have the largest proportion of Muslims as a percentage of their population. Combine this with overt discrimination and the rise of far-right populism in the likes of the National Front, France is an easy and justifiable target
(edited 7 years ago)
France's involvement in Iraq, Afghanistan, and Syria is what the terrorist's "reasoning" to do these acts is a lot of the time
Original post by jake4198
Because they have the largest proportion of Muslims as a percentage of their population. Combine this with overt discrimination and the rise of far-right populism in the likes of the National Front, France is an easy and justifiable target

So you're saying discrimination and far right attitudes are causing this? And Russia has a much larger Muslims population yet they haven't seen these scale of attacks. Yes, smaller proportion but still a very large population.
Original post by george_c00per
France's involvement in Iraq, Afghanistan, and Syria is what the terrorist's "reasoning" to do these acts is a lot of the time

Again France isn't the only country to have been this involved, many other countries have who have not seen terrorist attacks on this scale
Large North African population found in ghettos Marseilles, Lyon and Paris; they are perfect breeding grounds for radicalisation. They are 10% of the population but make up over 70% of the prison population. My mothers hometown has become around 70% Muslim and from my observations they don't actually enforce the ban on burqas. As a result, it looks and feels like you're taking a stroll in Mecca.

There is already high Islamic migration to France in combination with birth rates double that of the native population. France is demographically screwed...
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Willdono
Large North African population found in ghettos Marseilles, Lyon and Paris; they are perfect breeding grounds for radicalisation. They are 10% of the population but make up over 70% of the prison population. My mothers hometown has become around 70% Muslim and from my observations they don't actually enforce the ban on burqas. As a result, it looks and feels like you're taking a stroll in Mecca.

There is already high Islamic migration to France in combination with birth rates double that of the native population. France is screwed...

So you're saying it's their poor quality of life's and overpopulation which has led to France being targeted?
Original post by Proximo
As you all know there have been multiple high profile terrorist attacks in France recently, most notable was of course the Paris attacks and the truck attack in Nice yday.

However Germany, Britain, Switzerland, Hungary, Denmark, all these countries have had no major terrorist attacks and yet France has. Why?

Don't say because the face veil is banned because Russia has banned hijabs, not just face veils, in some regions, Switzerland has banned them in some regions, several towns in Italy have banned face veils and Barcelona in Spain. Turkey and Belgium have also banned face veils to some extent but they aren't the best examples for obvious reasons.

So, why France? What is it, ghettos? Poverty? Security services failing? Inferior prevention?

Surely according to a lot of people on TSR Germany would be a big target because they accepted so many refugees, these refugees are terrorists according to the majority of right wingers (I'm right winger but don't believe this), and yet France has experienced so much more horror.

Thanks

I agree with others on many points, but I'll add that France is famous for loving things that these guys hate. They're famous for being drinkers, for being lovemakers, for their existentialism, for their burlesque shows, and for the proudness they have for their own culture. These are all pretty shallow, stereotypical ideas of France, and of course don't actually represent France, but if you walk around Paris you'll see a lot of stuff that plays up them, and from their isolated communities these simpletons hate the fact that their host culture appears to be so braisenly proud of all these things which they are diametrically opposed to. They want to break France's confidence.
Original post by Proximo
So you're saying it's their poor quality of life's and overpopulation which has led to France being targeted?

-Large Muslim population
-Ghettos, segregation and they don't feel "French"
-Higher proportion living in poverty
-Ethnic tensions. Growth of National Front= anti- Muslim sentiment
There are lots of reasons.

Number one though is that they have the largest Muslim population in Europe. Over six million or ten per cent of the whole population. Every other reason springs from that.

If one per cent of the Muslim population is a dangerous Islamist nut job (I don't know the proportion, I don't suppose anyone does but let's just use that percentage as an example) that gives them 60,000 terrorists in their midst.

That is an impossible number to monitor, and they have admitted they are unable to do so.

Then there is the whole rise of militant Islam, a worldwide phenomenon, which is impacting on that six million just like it is impacting on every country in the Muslim world.

The unique French thing, though, is that they are very bad as a society at integrating immigrants. (Even worse than us and we are bad at it too). They try to make them French, to argue that there isn't any cultural difference.

But despite the rhetoric in practice they shove them in sink estates, the "banlieue" on the edge of their cities and treat them like second class citizens.

If you look at all their worst terrorists, from Charlie Hebdo to yesterday, they all come from the banlieue. From the ghetto in our terms.
Reply 10
Why? France has the highest proportion of Muslims (7.5%) of any western European nation, they also have a large number of immigrant ghettos where fundamentalism is tolerated and where recruitment is easy.

this is what you have to say after the hundreds of innocent dead?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by banterboy
this is what you have to say after the hundreds of innocent dead?

kill yourself

Calm yourself down. I'm the last person to ever side with Islam, but for ISIS, France is a justifiable target.
Reply 13

Iraq?
Calm yourself down. I'm the last person to ever side with Islam, but for ISIS, France is a justifiable target.

OH i see what you mean now. thought you were saying it was justified.
Original post by Josb
Iraq?

They're currently bombing ISIS in Iraq and Syria
They're currently bombing ISIS in Iraq and Syria

You mean bombing Iraq and Syria, they don't know pin point whereabouts

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mathemagicien
What kind of idiot thinks telling people online to kill themselves is in any way going to change their mind? Seriously, please explain how it is worthwhile saying that.

what kind of idiot thinks you can change people's minds on the internet
Original post by Lemauricien
You mean bombing Iraq and Syria, they don't know pin point whereabouts

Posted from TSR Mobile

Actually they pretty much always just bomb things they know for absolute certain are used by ISIS. Don't confuse them with Russia.
Original post by Mathemagicien
I just want to know why you think its worthwhile telling someone to kill themselves. Do you think your word carries such weight that they will actually do it? Or are you 11 years old? Genuinely curious.

to express disapproval.

do you understand that language isn't always literal?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending