The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tpos
It's fine for me

Dunno why, but I been searching around and apparently in a recent update google disabled backspace to return to the previous page and instead we gotta use left alt+left arrow.
Reply 1561
Original post by Al-farhan
Dunno why, but I been searching around and apparently in a recent update google disabled backspace to return to the previous page and instead we gotta use left alt+left arrow.

I don't get why they change things that aren't broken - and make them worse. Ah well, I'm glad mine hasn't upgraded to that yet.
Original post by OGGUS
The Internet actually contains evil Jinns be careful. Anyways who here has a seen jinn besides me?

What happened in detail? What did it look like and how are you so sure?
Original post by Zamestaneh

The leader of the Muslim community would decide with the council of those around him.

Is this essentially the caliphate or do you mean leaders of separate Muslim communities based on location?

Ultimately they would come to a conclusion and make a decision, so minor disagreement doesn't matter, and the final decision is with the leader.

Fair enough, but this an ideal scenario.

Whatever justice is done by him is rewardable by Allah and whatever injustice is accountable to Allah -

Personally, this is unacceptable because if the leader (and the co leaders of the community) makes an incorrect decision, simply saying God will deal with them justly isn't benefiting anyone, and could cause far worse problems.

This sentence can be used for any tyrant leader by the fellow communities, and isn't following the command of 'Enjoin the good, and forbid the evil'

this is no different to the designated military leaders under the Prophet (SAW) having to exercise their own independent judgement in situations, and it's not like the Prophet (SAW) was there with them all the time to make every decision for them, therefore there has always an element of subjectivity.

But there is a difference, those military leaders were under the Prophet's control and thus chosen by him, an infallible being who doesn't commit mistakes. This is very different to someone who is chosen by the likes of me and you.

Also, verses from the Quran came down regarding war, and so this is another objectified command, which is very different from today's situation as the Quran is complete and has been perfected.

The war has to be in a similar context i.e. for the sake of Allah to defend the Islamic community as well as those non-Muslims under the protection of the Muslims. If the Muslims are in the wrong, they are still obligated to seek justice and rectify any mistakes they have made and compensate those whose rights they have taken, as was done by the Prophet (SAW) on behalf of his commanders.

I would've thought, without the command from an infallible being, it would have to be a replica because that's the only way of fully ensuring correct application of a contextual verse, but it seems you'd allow for similar context, and thus disagreement is already present, proving my point.

But this only my opinion at the end of the day.
Original post by champ_mc99
What happened in detail? What did it look like and how are you so sure?

I'll private message details. It don't work for some reason.
But the Jinn had a Bulls head and was red. The other Jinns had Skelton heads. One looked like the one from Harry Potter the them creatures but red.
Reply 1565

:redface:May Allah make it easy for us and bless us with his mercy. Ameen.
Original post by h333
:redface:May Allah make it easy for us and bless us with his mercy. Ameen.

Ameen

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mil88
Is this essentially the caliphate or do you mean leaders of separate Muslim communities based on location?

Fair enough, but this an ideal scenario.

Personally, this is unacceptable because if the leader (and the co leaders of the community) makes an incorrect decision, simply saying God will deal with them justly isn't benefiting anyone, and could cause far worse problems.

This sentence can be used for any tyrant leader by the fellow communities, and isn't following the command of 'Enjoin the good, and forbid the evil'

But there is a difference, those military leaders were under the Prophet's control and thus chosen by him, an infallible being who doesn't commit mistakes. This is very different to someone who is chosen by the likes of me and you.

Also, verses from the Quran came down regarding war, and so this is another objectified command, which is very different from today's situation as the Quran is complete and has been perfected.

I would've thought, without the command from an infallible being, it would have to be a replica because that's the only way of fully ensuring correct application of a contextual verse, but it seems you'd allow for similar context, and thus disagreement is already present, proving my point.

But this only my opinion at the end of the day.

It could be a caliphate or a Muslim country ruling according to Islam (which unfortunately there aren't any who do 100%).

It's a practical and realistic scenario so long as the ullema who advise the caliph have the same set of beliefs (i.e. not from differing sects or subsects with very different interpretations).

If they make an incorrect decision but have the intention of making the correct decision, then their position is like that of a Qadhi; will you tell me now that there should be no Islamic judges at all in case they make a wrong decision? No, rather a judge is rewarded two fold for the correct ruling and once for an incorrect ruling with the intention of having sought the correct one, and similarly a ruler tries to do the same as a judge but in a wider scale.

There are specific rulings regarding tyrants, obeying them, advising them and revolting against them, so I do not see that as particularly relevant to this discussion; advising the good and fobidding the evil is correct, but my point was that the ruler could indeed be trying to enjoin good but commit an error.

Strictly speaking the Prophet (SAW) did make mistakes, though he did not commit sin. Before you jump on this, there is a Shia hadith I believe from one of the Imams saying along the lines of that whoever said that any of the ma'soomeen never made mistakes is a liar. I would post a reference to this but I will have to do that later.
Back to the point: I understand what you meant to say, and though that is correct that they had the Prophet (SAW) to correct them, by the ullema assessing situations after they happen, it is still possible to measure actions against the case law of the Sunnah which sets a precedent for us to compare to, thus allowing us to determine whether something was done correctly or incorrectly.

Similar and the same - tomayto-tomato - it makes not that much of a difference, unless you could give a scenario where it would make a difference? In any case, difference of opinion between me and you doesn't matter much because we have very different beliefs anyways.
Original post by guided1
It was too long to read it all.
What is wrong with condemning terrorism? If you dont it just looks like you support it and if you dont why not say so? Things like this make it easier for non muslims to say Muslims support things like ISIS. Some brothers posted before that the verses about killing can still be used. I dont agree and I think if you dont support terrorists you should condemn them. It is stupid not to.

I think you should read the article in order to get the jist of it. The title is a bit vague but reading it would provide you with insight. The article states and I am paraphrasing, that whenever there is a terrorist attack, it is quite obvious that it is a barbaric act, however why is the spotlight always put on muslims to condemn it? For example (and these will be stereotypes so I am sorry in advance), if a white man is racist, do all the white people apologise on his behalf? No. Or, if a black man steals, do all the black people apologise for his acts? No. That is because it is evident that these acts are wrong. Then why are muslims held responsible for terrorists? Then why are we asked to apologise for them?

Original post by Tpos
"It was too long to read"

*goes on to ask question that article answers. In 75 ways.*

cba to answer your question if you cba to read what's given to you.

I really liked the article. I hope I got it right though lol. ^^
Original post by h333
I have never personally seen a jinn.
and neither have I

and no unicorns, also
Today a 12 year old child died(among many others) while selling scrap when russian bombs hit idlib market at a time it was full of people
The poor child was skin and bones, he was using a piece of cloth to hold his trousers up.
He was under siege on land, starved, denied. But that wasn't enough. It was decided they needed to be bombed too.
May Allah have mercy on him and all those who died.
Hi everyone!
Any university applicants ever included that they can read quran ie Arabic, but not speak it, and speak their mothertongue, yet not be able to read or write in it to a similar accuracy. Really dunno if this will benefit me...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1572
Original post by Saba XD

I really liked the article. I hope I got it right though lol. ^^

:yy:
Reply 1573
Original post by BackLumbarJack
Hi everyone!
Any university applicants ever included that they can read quran ie Arabic, but not speak it, and speak their mothertongue, yet not be able to read or write in it to a similar accuracy. Really dunno if this will benefit me...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sure you've got more useful things to say than being able to only read Arabic (without understanding!), the word limit is easily met once you get down to writing it. Being able to speak a second language is always a good thing in general, but for your application, it depends on your subject, it could be completely irrelevant to your application.
Reply 1574
Original post by mariachi
and neither have I

and no unicorns, also

Ok thanks for the info.

Today a 12 year old child died(among many others) while selling scrap when russian bombs hit idlib market at a time it was full of people
The poor child was skin and bones, he was using a piece of cloth to hold his trousers up.
He was under siege on land, starved, denied. But that wasn't enough. It was decided they needed to be bombed too.

Inna lillahi wa inna ilahi raji'un.
Ameen.
Original post by HAnwar
Ah no wonder my internet was playing up yesterday. Was gonna get someone round to fix it but I think ayatul Kursi with a sprinkle of Zam Zam water should do the trick.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Looooool
Original post by HAnwar
Wasalam

That doesn't sound good, personally I would avoid eating there.
Tbh that would put me off straight away.

Posted from TSR Mobile

JazakAllah Khair brother, sorry for the late reply, and thanks a lot for your help :smile:

Original post by s_ahmed2
Wasalam

Well it seems very doubtful and as Hasan(ra) said: I learnt from the messenger of Allah(saw): Leave what gives you doubt to what does not give you doubt...

Therefore I would advise you not to eat from there anymore, I'm sure you have plenty of alternatives.

Posted from TSR Mobile

JazakAllah Khair, yes I do have plenty of alternatives Alhamdulillah :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1577
Original post by Ribbit1234
Looooool

Salaam Ribbit! Haven't seen you around here for a while (then again, I haven't been checking the thread that often). Hope you're good :smile:
Hi everyone!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't bother unless the course is directly related to Arabic language.

Do you have a specific qualification for Arabic language skills you can put on your UCAS?

Ameen.
SubhanAllah this has made me so sad. Poor child.
Inna lilahi wa inna ilayhi raji'oon.

Hi everyone!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't think so, that kind of stuff is best put on a CV instead.

Original post by frank_drebin
JazakAllah Khair brother, sorry for the late reply, and thanks a lot for your help :smile:

JazakAllah Khair, yes I do have plenty of alternatives Alhamdulillah :smile:

*Sister
And no worries :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending