The Student Room Group

Books to compare (for coursework/comparative essays)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Empire Odyssey
I agree. I think Jane Eyre has only a few hints of Gothic. It's much more suited in the Romance genre.

While Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey is a Gothic piece of fiction.

I ADORE Northanger Abbey!
Original post by Platopus

I wrote my first dissertation on Northanger Abbey :heart:
Original post by Fox Corner
I wrote my first dissertation on Northanger Abbey :heart:

I think it's so underrated! I may even prefer it to P&P...
Original post by Platopus

I've never read it to be honest! I tried to get through P&P (twice) but just couldn't do it! So I've never picked up another Austen novel. Although I do have Sense and Sensibility on my bookshelf!
I've never read it to be honest! I tried to get through P&P (twice) but just couldn't do it! So I've never picked up another Austen novel. Although I do have Sense and Sensibility on my bookshelf!

I thought P&P was really funny, but S&S wasn't that good. I'd recommend Northanger - it's shorter and more overtly satirical than her other works.

No no no!!!!! Pride and Prejudice is a must read. I can perhaps excuse you for not loving it if you are male but otherwise, I'm lost for words. Northanger Abbey is also brilliant, though as Austen was younger when she wrote it, not quite as seamless.
Faustus is a great one for religion and also science, if that'd be a category you'd like to add. You can couple Frankenstein with the science category also

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kingaaran
Faustus is a great one for religion and also science, if that'd be a category you'd like to add. You can couple Frankenstein with the science category also

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's a good idea! I love Faustus :heart:
I'm definitely going to get reading over the next couple of months

Access to HE in Social Work

BSc Health and Social Care - pending
Original post by TeddyBear86
I'm definitely going to get reading over the next couple of months

This is for literature essays?

Or are you just lurking cause you want some texts to read? Feel free to have a nose around aha!
I'm actually studying English literature Alevel as a hobby.

Original post by TeddyBear86
I'm actually studying English literature Alevel as a hobby.

What's your favourite book :biggrin:
For my Advanced Higher English dissertation I'm studying 'We' by Yevgeny Zamyatin and '1984' by George Orwell. I'm thinking of focusing on control and freedom looking at collectivism, sex, history, surveillance, social function and writing. Has anyone read either or both of these novels and have any suggestions on what I could focus on/write about? Any help would be greatly appreciated, I need to have my proposal completed before the end of the summer :s-smilie:.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by logan_power99
For my Advanced Higher English dissertation I'm studying 'We' by Yevgeny Zamyatin and '1984' by George Orwell. I'm thinking of focusing on control and freedom looking at collectivism, sex, history, surveillance, social function and writing. Has anyone read either or both of these novels and have any suggestions on what I could focus on/write about? Any help would be greatly appreciated, I need to have my proposal completed before the end of the summer :s-smilie:.

It's been a while since I've read 1984, and I haven't read We (I've just googled it though and it looks really interesting). If you were focusing on history you could think about how the themes of control and govt surveillance intersects with the history of the two world wars, and for 1984 the upcoming Cold War. It would be interesting if you could link We to Russian/Soviet Union history as well.

If you wanted to focus on writing, you could think about the larger theme of censorship and how writing as an art form can express freedom and how important it is to be able to engage in free speech, especially as a form of revolution against your govt. If I remember correctly, the narrator of 1984 starts to keep a diary even though this is forbidden.

It sounds like you have some really good ideas though! Do you have any specific examples you can use to compare the two novels?
My favourite all time book My Sisters Keeper :smile:
I am seriously struggling with ideas for my dissertation, and I need to know what I will be studying for Tuesday.Could I compare The Color Purple and Their Eyes were Watching God? What could a possible question be? Any help appreciated
I have to write a comparative essay on 'The picture of Dorian Gray' and 'a doll's house', focusing on the representation of men. Does anyone have any ideas please?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, does anybody know any good novels/plays etc about madness/mental illness that could be compared to the yellow wallpaper (other than the bell jar)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Sunshine45
Hi, does anybody know any good novels/plays etc about madness/mental illness that could be compared to the yellow wallpaper (other than the bell jar)

Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys would be a good one - lots of themes of female mental illness that could be easily compared to those in The Yellow Wallpaper :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending