The Student Room Group

What's wrong with building a border wall?

Trump has had a lot of criticism for his plan to build a wall on the US-Mexico border to prevent illegal immigrants from entering. Apart from the fact that Mexico is unlikely to pay the entire price of the wall, what is actually wrong with building one? What's wrong about having a proper border and only letting in people who we want?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
you make me want to cry

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Cost?
Reply 3
There is nothing wrong with the principle of having a proper border- a country needs borders. However, the US-Mexico border is very long and it will be very expensive. Unless Mexico pays at least some of the cost (and Trump can get them to pay for some of it through sanctions) it will be very hard to build.
Original post by Trapz99
There is nothing wrong with the principle of having a proper border- a country needs borders. However, the US-Mexico border is very long and it will be very expensive. Unless Mexico pays at least some of the cost (and Trump can get them to pay for some of it through sanctions) it will be very hard to build.

why should Mexicans have to pay a dime for it,it was trump's idea.
A border wall would actually severely hinder drug cartels, and thus would make life a lot better for Mexicans, especially for those citizens living near the border (many of which have had to resort to creating vigalante groups to fight the cartels). Watch Cartel Land if you're really interested.
Nothing. It's a good idea in my opinion. When you share a border with a country like Mexico, a wall definitely seems necessary.
The wall is estimated to cost about the same price as a new aircraft carrier ($13b), so it isn't really that much considering how wealthy the US is.
Reply 8
Original post by queen-bee

The problem is coming from Mexico, to stop their problem a wall is needed therefore if it is their problem they should pay for it.
Reply 9
Original post by queen-bee

We can make them pay for it through economic sanctions like trade tariffs and banning money transfers. $24 billion flows out of the US into Mexico by Mexican workers in the US sending money home. Banning that will cause unrest in Mexico- the government will eventually have to pay at least some of the cost of the wall. America has the bargaining power here. Mexico relies far more on the US.
Trump's official strategy:
https://www.donaldjtrump.com/positions/pay-for-the-wall
Original post by Trapz99
We can make them pay for it through economic sanctions like trade tariffs and banning money transfers. $24 billion flows out of the US into Mexico by Mexican workers in the US sending money home. Banning that will cause unrest in Mexico- the government will eventually have to pay at least some of the cost of the wall. America has the bargaining power here. Mexico relies far more on the US.

you didn't answer the question

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Trapz99

That is a crazy thing to do, you can't just ban money transfers. You will significantly affect the US economy by doing that.

Plus they will just take the US dollars across in cash, or transfer it via another country, there are ways around it.

The world will stand with mexico, not the US, if they ever decide to do such a crazy thing as banning money transfers. China can easily screw over the US economy if it wanted, the amount of US dollar FX reserves they hold and the trade they do with the US can have a significant impact on the US.
Original post by TelAviv
The wall is estimated to cost about the same price as a new aircraft carrier ($13b), so it isn't really that much considering how wealthy the US is.

Apparently there a tons of hidden costs such as maintenance , so the figure is reported to be well over 20 billion. The US is massively In debt , not in any shape to bulid a very expensive border
(edited 7 years ago)
Nothing aside from cost and maintenance.
Original post by snikerio
you didn't answer the question

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did. I said how we can get Mexico to pay for it. America has the bargaining power here. Mexico doesn't really have a choice.
There is nothing wrong with wanting a secure border and immigration policy. There will obviously never be a wall between the US and Mexico though.
Reply 16
Cant they just fly,climb, drill or go under the wall? Its the 21st Century and a wall is meant to stop the flow of people?🤔 How about more guards and dogs? Technology, such as drones
Original post by Trapz99
I did. I said how we can get Mexico to pay for it. America has the bargaining power here. Mexico doesn't really have a choice.

the question was why should they

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by snikerio
the question was why should they

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because if they don't, America can implement sanctions like tariffs which can ruin their economy.
Original post by Trapz99
Because if they don't, America can implement sanctions like tariffs which can ruin their economy.

im not sure you understand, that's not a reason to build the wall

but if that's all you have to say, the only conclusion i can come to is that you must REALLY enjoy black mailing entire countries, especially when it puts america at huge risk, and has no reasoning in the beginning

doesn't make much sense to me

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending