The Student Room Group

Philosophy a level for a medicine application ?

I'm thinking of doing philosophy a level and applying to do a medicine degree (with maths bio and chem) is philosophy considered a soft subkect and what pros or cons are there for having this a level with the course I want to do? Would it be better if I did histpry since I enjoy them equally
Reply 1
Either will be fine, choose whichever you enjoy more and are more likely to get an A in.
I've studied philosophy at high school (I'm not British) and I have found it incredibly useful, because there's really nothing like it for the development of critical, independent thought (plus essay writing skills). If you enjoy it, do it; just remember to play your cards right while applying and highlight those skills you've learned that are useful in Medicine.
Reply 3
I'm doing bio, Chem, maths and philosophy. The ethics side is very good in terms of medicine, isn't as relevant but you get some key skills from it plus is very interesting. Make sure you actually like philosophy though, I don't really and probably should have taken geography or further maths

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sugarbabes
I'm thinking of doing philosophy a level and applying to do a medicine degree (with maths bio and chem) is philosophy considered a soft subkect and what pros or cons are there for having this a level with the course I want to do? Would it be better if I did histpry since I enjoy them equally

Hi Sugarbabes

As a few other people have already said, the most important thing is to choose a subject that you enjoy, so if that is Philosophy, go for that.

Chemistry is the really essential subject for studying medicine at degree level with Biology very highly recommended. Maths is great if you are applying for Oxbridge due to the theoretical nature of the course, but by no means essential. So it sounds as though you have a really great set of subjects there.

You might want to have a read of this blog post if you have a minute as it covers this exact subject!

I hope that has been some use. All the best with your choices, I'm sure as long as you enjoy studying the subjects then you'll have made the right decisions.

UniAdmissions

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending