The Student Room Group

Without EU protection we are far more vulnerable to terror attack?

No thanks to Brexit we are now on our own. When we were in the EU, member states shared intelligence information to thwart terror attacks. Also the EU arrest warrent has gone meaning that terrorist who attack Britain can't any longer be arrested abroad.

Now that's gone, EU states won't cooperate with us and because we chose to leave we will get little if any sympathy or help from the EU if our country is attacked.

But you can't blame the EU, no thanks to Johnson et al Britain has done nothing but antagonise the EU. Soon Scotland will leave us as they sensible enough to realise that the EU is a good thing.
Soon all well be is tiny England on its own and constantly threatened by ISIS.

What a fine mess were in!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ambitious1999
Now that's gone, EU states won't cooperate with us

:lol: is this really the reality you perceive? us leaving the EU = all EU members states unanimously deciding to isolate themselves from us at every level like this? if anything, it's *them* who would be isolationists
Original post by sleepysnooze
:lol: is this really the reality you perceive? us leaving the EU = all EU members states unanimously deciding to isolate themselves from us at every level like this? if anything, it's *them* who would be isolationists

But at least they'd be one family together ignoring and isolating Britain (or England when Scotland leaves)
We'd never be allowed back into the EU because when Scotland rejoins they'd veto our re-entry and the rest of EU might not want us back.
Our only hope would be forming closer ties with Russia or America which are geographically far away but could provide military intelligence and protection.

Other than that were on our own, they have strength in numbers.
But at least they'd be one family together ignoring and isolating Britain (or England when Scotland leaves)
We'd never be allowed back into the EU because when Scotland rejoins they'd veto our re-entry and the rest of EU might not want us back.

where are you pulling this ridiculous information from? your ass? or worse?

Our only hope would be forming closer ties with Russia or America which are geographically far away but could provide military intelligence and protection.

yeah, so you're portraying the EU as a retard-based institution if you're saying that they'd rather us potentially join forces with russia, than them. I agree though, they're retards

"numbers" (of states) ain't **** - we have the power. the only other countries in the EU with any kind of power are france, italy and germany. eastern europe has nothing, and scandenavia isn't militaristic nor is it populated enough to fight us.
(edited 7 years ago)
No thanks to Brexit we are now on our own. When we were in the EU, member states shared intelligence information to thwart terror attacks. Also the EU arrest warrent has gone meaning that terrorist who attack Britain can't any longer be arrested abroad.

I understand your concern for the welfare of UK residents and as you have pointed out we cannot rely on the EU member states (all 28 countries, counting the soon to be Turkey) however the terrorists who currently threaten Britain don't tend to successfully escape the country since they are either arrested, shot by our counter-terrorism units or kill themselves.
The real issue is the threat from within, the complex issue of "radicalisation" that has caused incidents that were or could have been terrorist acts.

Naturally the solution to the problem of terrorism is a mixture of stabilising support in the middle east (like russia's involvement in the syrian campaign), a re-designed news channel that is accurate, reliable and relatively unbiased (not like the BBC or RT, although I'd trust RT more) as well as a concise plan for lowering the number of cases of discriminatory and anti-social behaviour (yeah I don't have a relevant example of this but if we improved education standards, teacher's benefits and re-write the life skills/PSHE syllabus then that would be a longer term step).

Now that's gone, EU states won't cooperate with us and because we chose to leave we will get little if any sympathy or help from the EU if our country is attacked.

Potential terrorists planning on entering the UK via Europe will still be held under the same suspicion as being terrorists regardless that their target is the UK, please remember that it is the aim of intelligence and counter-terrorism systems to identify targets, capture the threats and ultimately prevent attacks. An Italian terrorist will be arrested for making IEDs, smuggling weapons or planning attacks because they are committing a crime,regardless of the planned location of their attacks.

But you can't blame the EU, no thanks to Johnson et al Britain has done nothing but antagonise the EU. Soon Scotland will leave us as they sensible enough to realise that the EU is a good thing.

Firstly, scotland leaving the UK right now would be bad for them, not least because of the reasons given in the 1st ref.

Secondly, England is already constantly threatened by ISIS, but then again, who isn't?

Finally, you can blame the EU, very much so. They supported the idea of intervention in Syria, nor did they respond quickly enough to stop Angela merkel's migrant promise from causing the mess it currently has done, they practically welcomed Tony Blair into an EU parliamentary position and the promise of "ever closer union", as written in the original EU maastricht treaty is proving itself to be a terrifyingly more prominent each parliamentary session they have.

A conclusive rant of the EU (I shortened it and focused on my hatred of the federalist EU plan, using fewer arguments).
Also the federalists aren't some fantasy or a phantom enemy, they exist.

Spoiler

I'm sure EU countries will still want to share intelligence, it's in everybody's best interests.

Claude-van Junker, one of the EU's current presidents said that they don't want Scotland and wanted the UK to trigger article 50 and leave asap. Scotland probably wouldn't have enough power to veto anyway, since we've tried it 72 times and nothing came of it.
Britain, one of the most cold war mindset nations in Europe should be non hostile and actually friendly to Russia? I agree wholeheartedly and hope the EU and UN lift those pathetic sanctions now.
Original post by sleepysnooze
where are you pulling this ridiculous information from? your ass? or worse?

yeah, so you're portraying the EU as a retard-based institution if you're saying that they'd rather us potentially join forces with russia, than them. I agree though, they're retards

"numbers" (of states) ain't **** - we have the power. the only other countries in the EU with any kind of power are france, italy and germany. eastern europe has nothing, and scandenavia isn't militaristic nor is it populated enough to fight us.

No I support the EU and voted remain but we have to face facts. We have pissed them off by leaving and quite rightfully they are angry at us and will isolate us. Because of Brexit their economies will suffer. We have no hope of being accepted back only Scotland does.

That's why we need to look towards Russia. Yes they are powerful militarily and a free trade deal is far more likely with Russia than with the USA, who would never allow the freedom of movement we once enjoyed in the EU. (Ever tried getting a visa to holiday in the US or heaven forbid a work permit?)
Putin has already offered Brits free land in Eastern Russia to build homes on. He wants to work with us, we just need to accept the Russian way. Support Assad and the war against All terrorists. Stop criticising internal affairs in Russia. It's not rocket science. We can form a new AngloRussian Union. Half our Royal family had connections to the old Russian royal family.
We have pissed them off by leaving and quite rightfully they are angry at us and will isolate us.

I can see your concern and would like to reassure you that countries do not behave like children in the playground, which you will come to realise as you mature.
No I support the EU and voted remain but we have to face facts. We have pissed them off by leaving and quite rightfully they are angry at us and will isolate us. Because of Brexit their economies will suffer. We have no hope of being accepted back only Scotland does.

but blocking the UK after scotland supposedly leaves = less UK trade for scotland = less growth for scotland...why would they want that as a nation-state? what do nation-states determine themselves by other than self-interest? grievances and grudges don't forward self-interests. this is why the UK is such a big ally of saudi arabia, regardless of the fact that they're a horrific dictatorship.

That's why we need to look towards Russia. Yes they are powerful militarily and a free trade deal is far more likely with Russia than with the USA, who would never allow the freedom of movement we once enjoyed in the EU. (Ever tried getting a visa to holiday in the US or heaven forbid a work permit?)

I went to america only a few weeks ago - it was only planned for a couple of months in advance

Putin has already offered Brits free land in Eastern Russia to build homes on. He wants to work with us, we just need to accept the Russian way. Support Assad and the war against All terrorists. Stop criticising internal affairs in Russia. It's not rocket science. We can form a new AngloRussian Union. Half our Royal family had connections to the old Russian royal family.

okay, if you want :|
PROJECT FEAR #takebackcontrol

Seriously, I doubt it. We will need to work together on this front, because that sort of division and isolation would be giving the terrorists exactly what they want.
This is hilarious. So terrorist aren't arrested in other countries if they escape the country? I'm pretty sure France or any other country aren't going to allow a terrorist who just murdered dozens of people to roam freely in their country. That's asking to be their next target.

Nothing will change regarding counter terrorism and we will be safer because millions of migrants from Syria won't earn the right to live in the UK in a few years. You'd be a fool to think none of those are terrorists or radicals.
Original post by Good bloke
I can see your concern and would like to reassure you that countries do not behave like children in the playground, which you will come to realise as you mature.

:erm:
youre a dumbass

also its harder for terrorists to get in as we can control our borders now
Original post by That bloke 2016
counting the soon to be Turkey

Would you like to revisit that prediction?

What a fine mess were in!

Are you conveniently disregarding Nato, the UN etc. The EU do not disregard non EU nations now. The Bremainers have **** between there ears if this is how they think.
The Eu wasn't providing any protection to begin with, just look at France.
Original post by nulli tertius
Would you like to revisit that prediction?

Perhaps, however I still think the EU - turkey deal is going to lead to more deals between them and even if they don't join the EU as a member state, they may become part of the EEC (European Economic Committee) and gain the 4 principles.

NOTE: I am still kind of tired at the moment, so don't expect a perfect response because I'm going off of my knowledge mixed with the results of google news and a few possible scenarios that were generated by my brain.
Ask France how EU protection has worked out this past year or so.
our last terror attack-7/7
the US last terror attack-San Bernardino
the last french attack-nice bastille day
can you see a big difference in how long the gaps are

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending