Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Cass Business school (City University London), Queen Mary, Cardiff or Southampton!!

Announcements Posted on
Last day to win £100 of Amazon vouchers - don't miss out! Take our quick survey to enter 24-10-2016

Hi Everyone, I received offers from: Cass (CUL) MSc international business economics, Cardiff MSc international Economics, finance and banking, Southampton MSc Accounting and finance and Still waiting for Queen Mary (MSc Accounting and finance).

I am so confused right now between all of them. Cass is really a well known business school but the university's overall ranking is very low while Southampton has higher overall ranking but the city itself is boring and the business school is not as good. I was so sure about Cardiff cause it has the best of both worlds (having a good ranking and enjoyable city) but I am still not sure. Also, Cardiff's name is so well known internationally.

Can you please advice giving the pros and cons in each case?

They sound like different courses so pick the one that interests you most and from which you'll get the best experience and exposure to your field.

City is becoming a part of the University of London so it's ranking will go up somewhat over the next few years but if you look to LinkedIn for evidence that Cass business school is highly rated in the City and the banks as the 'traders' school', the only thing about Cass for me is that they charge a lot of money for their masters courses which as you have mentioned City itself so far is not highly ranked to seem to justify those costs.

Queen Mary is in London, part of the University of London and has a well established economics and political science department that has a reputation and presence in the City and Whitehall.

Cardiff and Southampton are both great universities and there must be opportunities for your career in those cities but there is a high chance that you will be looking to go to London and Queen Mary or Cass whilst not having much of an advantage but you can make a great use of the events and networking in the City to have one foot already in the financial services industry, and ready to go when you graduate.

If you are a UK student, Newcastle University now has a campus in London that offers MSc International Banking and Finance for £5.6k as compared to Cass for 18-25k, so that is somewhere else to consider.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 17, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather find

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.