The Student Room Group

Scared to go to Paris now

About a year ago me and my boyfriend booked a holiday to Paris and after that the Paris attacks happened, and now the attack in Nice. I'm honestly terrified of going, and I am borderline considering cancelling our holiday (non-refundable). What shall I do?!
Don't. You might as well be scared to leave your house. These things can happen anywhere anytime and anyone can be the victim.
Original post by danuuutka
About a year ago me and my boyfriend booked a holiday to Paris and after that the Paris attacks happened, and now the attack in Nice. I'm honestly terrified of going, and I am borderline considering cancelling our holiday (non-refundable). What shall I do?!

You have to accept that terrorists attacks are out of your control and only happen to a minute scale of people (needle in a haystack)

You are more likely to get hit by a car and die than be killed by a terrorist.

French security is being questioned however I wouldn't let that stop you. I've been to countries like Somalia and I'm still alive.

There is nothing to be afraid of, a terrorist attack can happen anywhere not just France. Just chill and enjoy your holiday :console:

Spoiler

You're much, MUCH more likely to die on the way to Paris than get caught up in a terrorist attack when you're there. Are you worried about dying on the way there? Probably not.

My partner and I went 3 weeks after the Charlie hebdo attacks, you could die at any time from a number of things and living your life in fear is you letting the terrorists win. Sure the army presence at the station was a little scary but otherwise we enjoyed our holiday.
Reply 7
Original post by pizzanomics
You're much, MUCH more likely to die on the way to Paris than get caught up in a terrorist attack when you're there. Are you worried about dying on the way there? Probably not.

I am actually, I have a severe anxiety issue, and am already terrified of planes as it is
I am actually, I have a severe anxiety issue, and am already terrified of planes as it is

Well it sounds like you've already made up in your mind that something bad will happen and nothing anyone says will convince you otherwise.

You'll be fine though.
The only thing Paris will hurt is your bank balance.
More chance of being run over. If you really are scared after having looked at the real risks, then cancel. I would go.

France has about 80m+ tourists a year.
Reply 11
France is still one of the safest countries in the world to go to the chances of an attack happening with you present is infintismal.
Go somewhere else in the EU instead

Krakow is nice :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by remiremi
Go somewhere else in the EU instead

Krakow is nice :smile:

Unfortunately I don't have that kind of money
I completely understand where the OP is coming from. I lived in Paris for a year, 30 years ago. I would LOVE to go back. It really is the most beautiful city. But with what has happened it has completely put me off and frightened me from going. I also wanted to go to London as, again, I haven't been there since the early 1990's. Granted London is a hell of a lot safer than France these days.

Quick Reply