The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham insurance choice college change.

Hi guys, as the title says I've chosen Durham as my insurance choice.

I received an email from the uni saying that there was a chance that if I ended up going to Durham my college could be changed. Since I got allocated to University college it would be a real shame if I were to get reallocated (if I ended up at Durham.)

So does anybody know how often people actually get reallocated if Durham was there insurance choice? If it counts for anything my course is computer science and from what I can gather there aren't many of us at the college.

Cheers.
I can't say I know any actual statistics, but I was automatically given a place at my original college with Durham as my insurance, and I was rather late in accepting the place (as I was waiting on remarks for a good while!) I know it's possible for it to change, but I wouldn't expect it's too frequent, and I would expect the only time this happens is when the college's places are all filled with firm-choice applicants.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by BakedPotatoast

I received an email from the uni saying that there was a chance that if I ended up going to Durham my college could be changed. Since I got allocated to University college it would be a real shame if I were to get reallocated (if I ended up at Durham.)

So does anybody know how often people actually get reallocated if Durham was there insurance choice? If it counts for anything my course is computer science and from what I can gather there aren't many of us at the college.

Cheers.

I'm in the same position as you this year and I'm afraid I don't have a definitive answer. But, I have heard that it's very rare for you to end up in a different college, unless you were originally allocated an insanely popular one like Castle as they will try to keep you in the same one. You might want to look at this graph which shows the relative popularity of each college. That should be a good indicator of whether you are likely to be reallocated (apologies for the poor quality):

Hmm I see, thanks guys. Yeah since I was lucky enough to be allocated the castle I assume a lot of people at the castle would firm it. I guess I'm just gonna have to hope for the best and I stay there.

Thanks again guys.
Hmm I see, thanks guys. Yeah since I was lucky enough to be allocated the castle I assume a lot of people at the castle would firm it. I guess I'm just gonna have to hope for the best and I stay there.

Thanks again guys.

You never know, you might stay put. Or, which is even more likely, you may get your firm and not have to worry about it! I'm sure you will be very happy wherever you end up. Good luck for results day :smile:
Reply 5
Was it that they said we'd hear in August whether we would change college? Or is it only after we get our results that we'll know? I have Durham as my insurance but I haven't heard anything

Cheers.

I got moved and I had the same college as you but everyone ends up loving the college they are at

Quick Reply

Latest