The Student Room Group

Getting taxed at new temporary job - Is it correct?

Hi all -

I am working as a sales assistant over the summer roughly 2-3 days a week.
We get paid weekly - I checked last weeks payslip and roughly £9 was taken off for 'PAYE tax' when my total earning should of been around £120 instead i was paid £111 for that week.

Is it correct? I am 20 if that even needs to be taken into consideration and do roughly 14-21 hours per week.
If not - what do i do?

Thanks
Original post by JasmineBerry
Hi all -

I am working as a sales assistant over the summer roughly 2-3 days a week.
We get paid weekly - I checked last weeks payslip and roughly £9 was taken off for 'PAYE tax' when my total earning should of been around £120 instead i was paid £111 for that week.

Is it correct? I am 20 if that even needs to be taken into consideration and do roughly 14-21 hours per week.
If not - what do i do?

Thanks

What's your tax code? It seems incorrect to me so you need to phone hmrc and get it changed.
Original post by claireestelle
What's your tax code? It seems incorrect to me so you need to phone hmrc and get it changed.

To be honest, I have no idea what my tax code is :colondollar: As this is my first paid job - is there anyway of finding it? and okay, thank you.
To be honest, I have no idea what my tax code is :colondollar: As this is my first paid job - is there anyway of finding it? and okay, thank you.

Have you got a payslip yet? It should be on there somewhere,it seems pretty likely that it's wrong as you shouldn't be paying tax at all on earnings under 11k and I think no ni on that wage either.

Your tax code should be on your pay slip, usually somewhere near where it tells you how much tax has been deducted,but could be in the section with your personal information.

Should be on your payslip but you can also sign up to the personal tax account on the gov.uk website to see what code you're on. Alternatively call HMRC and they'll confirm what code you're on and adjust it if necessary.
Original post by claireestelle

I agree
if ur working u pay taxes get over it
Thanks for the help guys - I'll call HMRC

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending