The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

BSc Psychology starting in 2016

Hi! Is anyone here gonna study psychology starting from this year? Or does anyone have a piece of advice on how I should prepare myself for this course?
Original post by dciobotaru1
Hi! Is anyone here gonna study psychology starting from this year? Or does anyone have a piece of advice on how I should prepare myself for this course?

Hi I'm going into my third-year of BSc Psych next year. Honestly not much preparation need be done lesson wise, but do settle all your accommodation needs before coming here. Apply for accomm early, to ensure you're not going to homeless once you arrive at UCL (happened to my ex flatmate).

I completely recommend you go for as many Fresher's week events as possible, attend the psychology department induction events as well, because even if they're not totally useful, it's still a good way to know people on your course. And again Fresher's events are worth going to because it's one of the few ways you'll be able to know people from outside your course (even if they can be pricey).

Also, a word of warning, prepare yourself for lots and lots of statistics learning in first year. It's quite basic and easy to follow but it will take up a lot of your time in first term.

Also, congrats on the offer! I might see you around in the psychology department :smile:
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by aleyamarz
Hi I'm going into my third-year of BSc Psych next year. Honestly not much preparation need be done lesson wise, but do settle all your accommodation needs before coming here. Apply for accomm early, to ensure you're not going to homeless once you arrive at UCL (happened to my ex flatmate).

I completely recommend you go for as many Fresher's week events as possible, attend the psychology department induction events as well, because even if they're not totally useful, it's still a good way to know people on your course. And again Fresher's events are worth going to because it's one of the few ways you'll be able to know people from outside your course (even if they can be pricey).

Also, a word of warning, prepare yourself for lots and lots of statistics learning in first year. It's quite basic and easy to follow but it will take up a lot of your time in first term.

Also, congrats on the offer! I might see you around in the psychology department :smile:

Thank you! Could you also tell me how the exams are and what I could do to prepare myself for the statistics course?
Original post by dciobotaru1
Thank you! Could you also tell me how the exams are and what I could do to prepare myself for the statistics course?

Exams are almost entirely essay based, don't worry they'll drill you during your seminars on how to write a good essay. If you did maths in A-Levels then looking over your S1 syllabus (binomial, z-tests, t-tests etc) may come in handy. But in class they teach you stats assuming you haven't had experience in it before (because some people in your class wouldn't have taken maths before uni).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending