The Student Room Group

Didn't get an offer on my vac scheme - now what?

Hi everyone

I just completed a vacation scheme but sadly didn't get an offer. I'm quite gutted because I got some really good feedback and thought I was in with a good chance.

I hadn't really planned for this scenario and not entirely sure what to do now. I did the GDL last year and I don't really have the money to self fund for the LPC in September.

Should I make some last minute Training Contract applications before they close end of July, or is this a waste of time? Should I just focus on applying for paralegal jobs?

I'd appreciate any thoughts. I'm also a bit worried about how I can turn not getting the vacation scheme into a positive.

Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
Original post by methodical
Hi everyone

I just completed a vacation scheme but sadly didn't get an offer. I'm quite gutted because I got some really good feedback and thought I was in with a good chance.

I hadn't really planned for this scenario and not entirely sure what to do now. I did the GDL last year and I don't really have the money to self fund for the LPC in September.

Should I make some last minute Training Contract applications before they close end of July, or is this a waste of time? Should I just focus on applying for paralegal jobs?

I'd appreciate any thoughts. I'm also a bit worried about how I can turn not getting the vacation scheme into a positive.

Thanks in advance.

You've done brilliantly to get a vacation scheme, focus on the positives. Have you got some feedback as to why you didn't get the TC? The feedback will be useful, even if some of it is filler.

When making training contract offers, firms look at the whole picture, so the quality of your work, enthusiasm, social skills, and so on. I did a VS, where my supervisor said he was 'very impressed with me' and all feedback was positive'. So i did well in my seat, but I don't think I seemed as engaged/enthusiastic as others during the other aspects of the scheme.

Make some applications, if you're not working, you could probably do about 5-10 good applications in two weeks.

With one vacation scheme, you really don't need to worry about turning it into a positive. It's legal experience, which is very valuable. You may be asked why you didn't convert, but this is just to see if you can reflect/develop.
Yes just carry on going. Yes apply for training contracts. If you think there's no point, you give up easy. Getting on to one VS means you will get onto another

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Thanks for the helpful advice everyone. Am powering on with a select number of applications so fingers crossed I have some success!
Reply 4
best of luck, methodical !On the firm selection strategy in these last days before 31st: does anybody else think it is best to concentrate on firms who expressly say that they have no rolling basis and will review all applications only after the deadline ?Because I have this nagging feeling that others will just chuck away anything they receive now. Or am I overthinking it ?
Reply 5
OK, a higher degree (a third level:smile: of review/intolerance then ? :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by J-SP
They might have run out of interview slots if the standard has already been high.

But the reality is firms will receive up to a third of their applications in the last 48 hours. It will be worse this year where the 30/31st fall on a weekend.

But no recruiter wants to miss out on decent talent and therefore if they see a good enough form they will invite you to interview. If they can't, they will at least tell you to reapply/put you forward for the next cycle.

If it was me, I'd just try and apply by Wednesday if the deadline is the 31st. You'd still be ahead of many applicants and you might get reviewed before the weekend. Everyone else won't get reviewed until the follow week, and then you are in the bulk of applications.

Even firms that say they don't review forms until they close aren't quite truthful. They often do review the forms and rank them. They just don't make the decision on the cut off benchmark until all apps have been reviewed!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you J-SP ! Just motivated me to try my hand on another 3-4 apps this week-end)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending