The Student Room Group

Leicester University or UCL?

Hello there, I am in a little bit of pickle. I have been invited to study the arts at postgraduate level at both of the aforementioned universities. However, I do not want to disclose where I live, so I shall explain my dilemma whilst keeping some details private.
The trip to UCL is very expensive whereas Leicester is much cheaper. I also am of a very sensitive and delicate disposition so I do not cope well with big crowds, especially during rush hour.
I love the arts and I do think the course at UCL is more intense and I have a larger abundance of choices. However, I have heard UCL is rather cold and impersonal with regards to its student community. Whereas Leicester is meant to have a better relationship with its student population but its module choices are rather limited.
Too, this feels ridiculous but it needs to be said, I am terrified of London. I can cope going up there every few weeks, but it is so crowded and busy that the idea of going up there everyday fills me with anxiety. St Pancreas is huge and I find it very terribly overbearing. Too, the world seems to be becoming a more dangerous place and thus being in the countries capital makes me feel rather uneasy.
The dissertation for Leicester is required to be 20,000 words which plays towards my strengths (I can write for days). However, the week seems to be a little sparse with regards to lectures and I find this rather disheartening given I will be borrowing quite a large amount of money to study there. UCL is much more packed with different and fascinating modules, but then dissertation is only 12,000 words.
Overall, I am very conflicted. I am not asking for anyone to make this decision for me but if anyone has any advice or have been to either universities and can relay their experiences to me, then I would be very grateful.
Thank you,
Louise.
Reply 1
Original post by PinkFawn
Hello there, I am in a little bit of pickle. I have been invited to study the arts at postgraduate level at both of the aforementioned universities. However, I do not want to disclose where I live, so I shall explain my dilemma whilst keeping some details private.
The trip to UCL is very expensive whereas Leicester is much cheaper. I also am of a very sensitive and delicate disposition so I do not cope well with big crowds, especially during rush hour.
I love the arts and I do think the course at UCL is more intense and I have a larger abundance of choices. However, I have heard UCL is rather cold and impersonal with regards to its student community. Whereas Leicester is meant to have a better relationship with its student population but its module choices are rather limited.
Too, this feels ridiculous but it needs to be said, I am terrified of London. I can cope going up there every few weeks, but it is so crowded and busy that the idea of going up there everyday fills me with anxiety. St Pancreas is huge and I find it very terribly overbearing. Too, the world seems to be becoming a more dangerous place and thus being in the countries capital makes me feel rather uneasy.
The dissertation for Leicester is required to be 20,000 words which plays towards my strengths (I can write for days). However, the week seems to be a little sparse with regards to lectures and I find this rather disheartening given I will be borrowing quite a large amount of money to study there. UCL is much more packed with different and fascinating modules, but then dissertation is only 12,000 words.
Overall, I am very conflicted. I am not asking for anyone to make this decision for me but if anyone has any advice or have been to either universities and can relay their experiences to me, then I would be very grateful.
Thank you,
Louise.

From everything you have said to me it sounds like you far prefer UCL it's mainly your fear of London stopping you (I'm also afraid of London so I totally understand that!!). You also mentioned the journey but can you not go and live in London if you attended UCL?

Like you said I also dont want to make the choise for you but it sounds like you have made teh choise already. That you prefer UCL but it is fear that is stopping you from going for it. I think I'll leave it there but if you want any more advice just quote me back :smile:
Wouldnt you be moving to live in London?
What about Uni accommodation, which is usually really well located and safe?
London is big, but once you get your bearings then it becomes more manageable. It looks like an opportunity to stretc yourself a bit and start tackling your fear.
Imo UCL offers you a better educational opportunity and as Aph said you have already made that decision, its just London that seems to be the issue.

I would pick UCL as the course is more what you want. I would live in London.
I would also list all the things that make me scared and put in place straegies that help me cope and acclimatise faster. You have to start thinging about your comfort zones and rather than letting it put you off, figire out how to manage and control them. You need to keep things in proportion about risks becayse you probably think its much more dangerous than it is. Do some research and look at the figures.

Dont see where you currently live is importnat, unless ofc you intend to commute from home. Cant factor it in if we dont know.
Also it would be a bit dull if you let the fear hold you back from seomthing you obviously wnat to experience and you will only be able to afford once. Its your choice, but make sure the pros and cons is realistic and fair.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by PinkFawn
Thank you,
Louise.

Go to UCL. It's an amazing institution and better career prospects

Posted from TSR Mobile
UCL has one of the best art departments, it is the most competitive course for undergraduates so UCL :smile:
Reply 5
Thank you so much for all your kind words.
What is London like? I am a little frightened of the city and could use some reassuring words.
Sadly due to costs, I am unable to live there but I can travel there on the train and it is a reasonable distance.

Quick Reply

Latest