Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Practical elements in STEM degrees

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

Hello, ive been pointed in this direction from reddit. Im looking at studying OU over the next few years while i work full time.

I was studying chemistry at a university but at the time the maintenance loan did not stretch to cover 3/4 of my accomodation (despite going cheap). I had to stop, as working part time to get enough money only proved detrimental to study (could only get enough money if i worked most nights and all weekend).

Ive looked at time i may spend studying and feel OU is the way forward. I obviously want to finish what i started, and complete a STEM degree.

Does OU assess and provide practical elements? If not, how does it overcome that? Could i use my two years at a university to show experience?

Is finding placements the way to go?

Thank you,

Ps if the practical elements are lacking i am considering comp sci or maths. What are your prospects looking like if youve finished a STEM degree?

There isn't a huge amount of practical work at the OU, but there is some. Chemistry students do some experiments at home, as well as online experiments delivered through the OpenScience Laboratory and an optional, laboratory-based residential school. If you want specific information about this, I suggest you phone the OU and ask to speak to an academic advisor.

I do't know what you mean by arranging placements. I suppose it might be possible to supplement your OU education by doing a job or an internship that involves hands-on lab work (working as a lab technician in a school, for example).

You should be able to transfer university credits from your previous studies to the OU even if you didn't complete the course.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 16, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.