Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Recent purchase of Xbox 360 game - advice please

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

Hi everyone,*
    I'm wondering if I could ask a video game related question and to get some advice and opinions from the people on here.
    I recently purchased an Xbox 360 game on Amazon (who were selling from a 3rd party company).
    The game was advertised as the full / proper game with a photo of the actual product (as you normally get). *I paid for it online via Amazon and the game was delivered to me today.
    However, the game i was sent has a yellow printed banner on the disc cover which says: 'promotional copy not for resale'; there also does not appear to be a game manual within the game box as well.

Im wondering if anyone can shed some light on this by helping to answer the following questions:*
    1) does anyone know what a 'promotional copy' of a video game is?
    2) should this company actually be charging money to sell a 'promotional copy', if it specifically says on the front of the disc cover that it's 'not for resale'?*
    3) the product in the Amazon website did not mention that I would be buying a promotional copy; I was certainly under the impression that I was buying the full retail version of the game; and I was expecting the item to contain the in-game manual, especially as I am buying it new.
    4) do you think that based on these facts, I am more than entitled to get my money back?

I've not opened the game, I've kept it sealed just in case I can get the proper version of the game.
    I've sent a message to the company that's selling it via Amazon but would rather obtain some opinions from you guys on here first, in case they start to defend their reason for sending a promotional copy of a game.

Thanks for reading, would appreciate some opinions.*

The photo on an Amazon page will 99.9% of the time just be a non-specific photo. It's what Amazon are selling should you buy from them, but everyone else (ordinary people) who are selling it, theirs might look slightly different (say, a book but the corners are a bit bent), depending on the condition.

1) I think it's a copy of a game that's given away free as part of a promotion. 'Take part in this event and get this free game' or 'buy this game and get this one free'. It'll be exactly the same game though.

2) If things 'not for resale' or 'not to be sold individually' never got sold, there would be a lot less things in the world being sold.

3) It depends on the game whether it has a manual, some games these days don't have manuals. However I would say they should've put that it was a promotional copy in the description part of their listing (not Amazon's page but the seller's decription in the 'condition' section of their listing)

4) If they didn't put that it was a promotional copy in the 'condition' section, and if it's a present for someone else, then yes. If they did put it was a promotional copy, then maybe not. If it's just for you and you're not stupidly obsessive about what a disc you're never gonna look at while you're playing it looks like, I would just not bother trying to get a refund, play it, complete it, sell it.

How do you know what the disc looks like and that it doesn't have a manual if you've kept it sealed?
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 22, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Cats: Yay or nay?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.