Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Started Uni, parents never visited, but now graduated and close to getting a job

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

Graduated in 2015 last year and been working at a restaurant as a KP for nearly a year. Now I am close to completing a professional qualification in IT with the hope of obtaining IT work up North.

At Uni my dad dropped me off and I was completely uncomfortable due to my lack of friends and having hardly any friends to hang around with. He wasn't interested in helping me much and neither was my mum so I suffered throughout my first year and that they would control where I live at Uni. They did find me a house which I stayed in but I wasn't close to the friends. A year later I told them never to visit Since my first year I have never let my family visit me at Uni ever again as I know it would have made me uncomfortable. They hadn't made me comfortable in Life before Uni. I was a mature student. I would always feel better supported by somebody else and feel I would make better friends as a result of somebody else.

In my last year of Uni I met the chaplaincy and they were great support. I even considered them guests for my graduation and I was so happy they came. I was considering one or two close friends I made at Uni to be candidates too.
    I was too upset to be at Home and my dad kept moaning at me that I had a home here even though I made my choice. My mum respected my wishes I didn't want to come Home but I feel I should have stayed in my Uni town. I was even offered to move in with the chaplaincy after I graduated.

I had to feel responsible for my life and having my family support me or visit me wouldn't encourage it. If they came to graduation they would have probably wanted to go somewhere I didn't want to go, that was the case.I still feel that once I move out and get a good job in another city I will no longer want their company or visits from them but will accept visits from friends I have made at my current workplace and friends from Uni.

I was so happy to meet the Chaplaincy. They were great to be around. We met every Wednesday and Sunday. Every few months I go to visit them.

Incredibly I also represented my campus and helped new students in the IT rooms. I really enjoyed them.

I have got a CompTIA qualification for IT and now getting a Windows 7 one done.

How did others feel at Uni? Were your family like this or did everyone have different experiences?
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 16, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.