Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

No job is affecting my mental health

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

I have just finished university with a first class degree, i have been job searching for 3 month's now and have yet to find a job, even a part time one. I worked so hard all myself hoping that i would get somewhere better when i graduated, but no luck. I'ts not even like i was complacent when i was university, i worked full time throughout uni, the only time i took a break was the last 2 months to focus on my finals. Anyways, by the time i came back, management had changed and the new manager had hired other people to cover my shifts (i was on zero hours). My family is poor and my dad is a waste of space, he works and has money but never spends it on us, he didnt even want to pay for graduation tickets so i could not go. I just dont see if its worth living life, no matter how hard you work, you never get anywhere so whats the point of even trying.

Not having a job is really affecting my mental health and I really don't know what to do now

First of all, congratulations on your 1st. It's rewarding when your hard work pays off I'm sorry to hear about your difficulties however and know that it can be challenging when your work situation doesn't go as you hoped! I have spent my own fair share of time looking for jobs so can give you the benefit of my experience as it sounds like you're keen to get something asap.

You may need to adjust your "profile". There are loads of resources out there to help you. Reed for example, has CV and cover letter templates you can download and edit. TSR has some stuff you could check out too http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/cont...r=4041-careers

Expand your job hunt. It sounds like you're a hard worker so this shouldn't be too scary! The job centre has a list of job boards or you could do an internet search to find jobboards you like the look of. Make sure you upload your CV and set up alerts for the jobs you want.

You could register with a recruitment agency. These actively help to place you with employers and the good thing is that you can register with as many as you like.

Look to make yourself more "employable" Leaving uni with a first is amazing, especially as you worked too, but you can always look for ways to put yourself ahead. You can do this by volunteering/online courses/ evening courses etc. Again, seems like you have always kept yourself busy so this should come naturally to you

Right, so that's the job stuff. Now onto YOU. I think that finding a job you enjoy and succeed in will be the push you need to feel good about yourself but if you're feeling really down you should find someone to talk to. You could try a family member or a friend or reach out to your doctor for their counselling service.

3 months is not the end of the world OP, don't give up just yet, have a good think about where you're targeting yourself and make sure it's the right level for your subject (e.g. do you need work experience, do you need to start with a lower company) and in the meantime keep working on those run of the mill sales assistant/bar work jobs, there are plenty of people willing to take on a graduate, especially with work experience even in more menial work, don't take it personally, just keep going.

I missed graduation nbd brah :cool:

Whats your degree in
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 22, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Cats: Yay or nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.