Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Architecture or economics?

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

hi, I have a dilema and would appreciate some help:)

I am torn between studying architecture and economics at uni?

I have recently completed work experience at an architect firm, and I loved it. I've also been to uni open days looking at Architecture.

However, I am constantly being told, architecture isn't well paid; there's not enough money in that industry; you won't live in a nice house. So my other choice is to do an economics degree, an industry bursting with money and jobs.

But is that shallow of me to think more about how much I will earn, rather than my job and overall happiness. I'd much rather be studying architecture, but an economics degree looks so much more promising.

Another disadvantage is that I have not studied economics at GCSE or A level, so I would feel very behind at uni level.

any suggestions would be most appreciated :)

Well as it seems you prefer architecture than that. Not much point doing something you wont enjoy just because of the money.

I echo the sentiment above.

However, if you do genuinely like economics (and don't try to lie to yourself) then economics is a great degree. Your lack of economics A level will not render your application worthless; no university as far as I know requires it but it is obviously useful. The most important thing is your interest in the subject. If you barely care for it then don't apply for it because you won't get an offer from any competitive university.

I have an economics degree & am an architect. Economics is a fairly simple degree - minimal contact hours. Economics itself is pretty easy - most of the stuff is based on common sense or basic psychology. So you don't get great value in terms of teaching from an economics degree. However, as you say, it can open avenues into banking where the pay is vastly superior to architecture.

As a reference: in 1996 as a grad trainee I started off on a salary that was the same as I was earning in 2013 as an architect.... Money isn't everything but it can be very tight eking out a living as an architect, certainly for the first 10 years from starting the course.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 18, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Cats: Yay or nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.