Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Post Graduate Application questions

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

Hi, I am planning on applying for a Post Graduate course in the area of Computer Science/Software development. At my old university I gained a first class honors, and I was wondering due to the fact that because it was regarded as a mid tier university would this be held against me when applying for top 20 university for my masters course?

It's putting me off applying thinking that they may disregard my application because of this, especially when some applications now cost money.. I was wondering if anyone had a similar experience in applying for a higher university than where they got the undergraduate degree for post graduate study.

Secondary, I was also wondering if there is a limit to how many Universities you can apply for at masters level? As while I want to be optimistic applying for top 20, it's also good to be realistic and apply for some mid tier universities again just encase I do not get in.

Thanks for reading.

Edited for formatting

A first is a first, wherever it comes from. Colleagues on my ex-poly degree course went to UCL and Oxford for their Masters. Your application statement and references will be critical as well. Don't limit yourself.

The limit to the number of unis you apply to, will be how many references your referees are willing to write. Most unis have their own application process and system, and will expect an individual reference explaining why you are recommended for each specific course you apply to.

I'd recommend focussing on maybe half a dozen courses at most. Any more than that, and it might suggest that you don't know what you're looking for from a Masters course/uni and it could be worth taking time out to think it over more.

Thank you for the advice,
    I believe I will take some time to think it over more so prior to setting in stone what University or Universities I will apply for my master.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 17, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.