The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by wwait
I mean seriously we're just born then we live then we die

given enough time, everything I have done and ever will do will cease to matter.

whether I win a nobel prize or spend the rest of my life in jail it doesn't matter

nothing matters

I guess you're just going to leave sarcastic comments but I'm so bummed out right now. life has no point.

so what's the point in living it

I am sorry to hear you feel this way. So don't you believe in an afterlife?
Become the best you can be while enjoying life
Pretty much, eat drink and be merry, tomorrow we die.
Reply 4
Agree.
Reply 5
Agree hence why many people say you should enjoy it and always try to better yourself because that should be the ultimate objective in life; achieving the best version of you
Reply 6
this thread is so edgy
Agree.
It pretty much is, but im trying my best to have fun anyway 😄
Original post by h333
I am sorry to hear you feel this way. So don't you believe in an afterlife?

It's unlikely that it exists.
Well heaven and hell anyway.
Reply 9
yeahh pretty much how I view life too :redface:
Reply 10
Original post by loveleest
It's unlikely that it exists.
Well heaven and hell anyway.

Ok I respect your view :smile:. But I strongly believe it does exist.
Original post by SuperHuman98

...and then die. Lol.
Yeah it's pretty pointless tbh.
Reply 13
Mod message:

This thread is about nihilism which is 'the rejection of all religious and moral principles, often in the belief that life is meaningless' and not about the OP being suicidal.

Please note that the discussion of current suicidal thoughts goes against our guidelines and will dealt with by our lovely Peer Support Team, who are especially trained volunteers to deal content of that nature. If you are feeling suicidal please contant either; The Samaritans or Nightline. Their details can be found here; http://www.samaritans.org/ and here; http://nightline.ac.uk/want-to-talk/...our-nightline/.

If you feel in imminent danger of harming yourself it might be a good idea to approach your local A&E department or call 999 for an ambulance.

Thank you!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by SuperHuman98

Original post by DauntlessOne
Pretty much, eat drink and be merry, tomorrow we die.

Original post by alexp98
Agree hence why many people say you should enjoy it and always try to better yourself because that should be the ultimate objective in life; achieving the best version of you

Original post by wwait

given enough time, everything I have done and ever will do will cease to matter.

Some things do, objectively, matter, and there are reasons to act in certain ways. I'd highly recommend reading Parts One and Six of Derek Parfit's On What Matters, followed by The Point of View of the Universe by Singer and de-Lazari Radek.

And, I always find it highly bizarre that many people claim that they're nihilists, and then go on to claim that people should "try to better themselves" or "enjoy life". If there was no meaning to life, then people should not even do these things either. These claims are more in line with the Subjectivist view that there is no objective meaning in life, but that we can create our own meaning. I suppose one could, if one were a nihilist, argue that enjoying oneself is just as unreasonable as dwelling on the idea that life has no meaning, so why not choose to enjoy life.

It reminds me of this comic:

nihilism.png
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by wwait

whether I win a nobel prize or spend the rest of my life in jail it doesn't matter

nothing matters

I guess you're just going to leave sarcastic comments but I'm so bummed out right now. life has no point.

How many Nihilists are there? Most people believe there is a definite point to life, they just don't nail it to a religious door.
Original post by wwait

nothing matters

Yes what you say is completely true and no one can deny it but some people try to look at life with a different mindset. Some believe in spending their lives on helping others, becoming rich, follow a religion, exploring etc. So my point is try to look at life from a different perspective which could possibly encourage you to pursue something or someone. :biggrin:
Yep, life does have no meaning whatsoever. There is no 'why' we are here; only 'how' did we get here. I think we should definitely scientifically pursue 'how' we got here; although it certainly has no intrinsic purpose, it definitely will make our lives more satisfying so why not?
The purpose of life is a life of purpose. It does.

--Robert Byrne--

Life is like a ten-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use.

--Charles Schulz--

We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give!

--Winston Churchill--

Life is exactly what you make. If you make it pointful,it's not pointless . If you make it pointless,it's not pointful.

1468858671947.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by skunkboy
The purpose of life is a life of purpose. It does.

--Robert Byrne--

love this one.

Latest

Trending

Trending