Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

140-hour TEFL or CELTA for teaching in Asian countries?

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

Hi there, so I'm looking to get a certificate to teach English abroad, preferrably in China, however I don't really want to spend upwards of £1000 on a CELTA.

Most job postings I've seen just say "TEFL/TESOL/CELTA" certificate, so can I not just spend a quarter of the price on a 140-hour TEFL course?

You can get entry-level esl in China (and some other Asian countries) with just a degree. I did, as well as most of the other teachers I met over there. I tend to think random no-name certs are a false economy. They're just bits of paper from 'organisations' no-one has heard of claiming...well, not much actually.

CELTA and Trinity TESOL are the only reputable certs. They require an investment of time/money but doesn't anything worthwhile require a sacrifice? They differ from random cheap certs as they include seminars, written assessments and most importantly observed, assessed time teaching real students. Dodgy two-bit weekend certs may not include this, and even if they do, no employer will have heard of them.

I'd say save your money and buy a couple of books on esl for now. Jobs in China are still plentiful for pretty much and native english speaker with a degree. If you want to continue teaching in a year, develop your skills by investing in a CELTA.

Hi, thanks for the informative reply.

How did you go about getting a job in China, did you secure one before going out there or get it while you were out there?

Can you give me advice on the best places/websites to look for a job?
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 20, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

I want...

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.