The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by TorpidPhil
Security work :wink:

Thanks for that, but I don't know if I could deal with aggressive people. Like once you catch someone stealing, they go all aggressive on you.
Original post by ALittleLost25
OP why dont you open your own opticians and solve all your problems. A lot of unis say that thats what a lot of grads end up doing. Be your own boss.

To put it bluntly I dont do that because you would fail. For several reasons:

1. Optometry is dominated by big businesses (specsavers, vision express, boots etc etc) The majority of the general public would only go to one of these so if you open your own "independent" about 60-80% of the public wouldn't even consider you. Big businesses have immense buying power and can afford to sell frames /glasses/contact lenses very cheaply sometimes even at a loss (think tesco opticians). As an independent your buying power will be nothing comapared to that so you will have higher prices then the big boys. So as well as generally not trusting you anyway since your an independent, you will be more expensive then them too for the exact same products.

2. Its completely saturated anywhere apart from rural/country areas. Any where else has about 3-4 minimum opticians on every high street

3. If you want to buy a "big boy" franchise like spec savers it costs about £120,000 for the franchise licences who has that kind of money? Or who would be willing to take a loan in today's environment, where that spec savers will probably have 10+ other opticians in a 1 mile radius all competing for the same customers.
shame it isn't as highly regarded as other health professions :/
Reply 23
Surely you get enhancements for weekends bank holidays?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fg45344
Thanks for that, but I don't know if I could deal with aggressive people. Like once you catch someone stealing, they go all aggressive on you.

Well yeah, there is obviously a certain sort of person that can do it. Although event security like road closures and music events generally don't have much issues at all. You're just getting paid for standing around.

At your age though if you had been doing security work casually since uni you could be a part time head door supervisor in nightclubs by now. And that would be a very nice bonus for you, presumably, given this thread, a lot more entertaining than pharmacy/optometry work too :P
Reply 25
Original post by TorpidPhil
Well yeah, there is obviously a certain sort of person that can do it. Although event security like road closures and music events generally don't have much issues at all. You're just getting paid for standing around.

At your age though if you had been doing security work casually since uni you could be a part time head door supervisor in nightclubs by now. And that would be a very nice bonus for you, presumably, given this thread, a lot more entertaining than pharmacy/optometry work too :P

Pharmacy is bulshit, you know something is wrong with your workplace when you start sweating.

I study economics as my PhD, i don't need that job tbh, it's just a bit of money. I only do the day for that very reason.
Original post by A321
Surely you get enhancements for weekends bank holidays?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Of the 6-7 companies I have worked for, only 1 offered double pay for bank holidays.

NONE offer more pay for weekends as it is specifically written into your work contract, as far as they are concerned saturdays/sundays are just a normal work day which is a joke.
Reply 27
Original post by optometrist123
Of the 6-7 companies I have worked for, only 1 offered double pay for bank holidays.

NONE offer more pay for weekends as it is specifically written into your work contract, as far as they are concerned saturdays/sundays are just a normal work day which is a joke.

I agree, same with pharmacy, dispensers at my place get the same pay for weekends. Locums get like £2 more for sundays. Monday-Saturday is £19 an hour.
Reply 28
Interesting post. I can see it getting very repetitive but I'm surprised there is sales pressure. I've been going to the opticians since I was four and the optometrist has never, ever pushed me to buy anything. There are salespeople with zero clinical experience or training to try and sting as much money out of you as possible.

Your point about working weekends is pretty silly to be honest. Healthcare is 24 hours so optometry is probably one of the best professions for working hours. Virtually all other frontline staff have to man a 24 hour service.

I'm guessing your professional union is weak if the big boys have pushed down salaries and working conditions so much?
What about audiology?
Reply 30
Original post by FXX
Interesting post. I can see it getting very repetitive but I'm surprised there is sales pressure. I've been going to the opticians since I was four and the optometrist has never, ever pushed me to buy anything. There are salespeople with zero clinical experience or training to try and sting as much money out of you as possible.

Your point about working weekends is pretty silly to be honest. Healthcare is 24 hours so optometry is probably one of the best professions for working hours. Virtually all other frontline staff have to man a 24 hour service.

I'm guessing your professional union is weak if the big boys have pushed down salaries and working conditions so much?

Our place has no union, the staff have no voice. Have you ever worked in a fast paced retail environment?

I do find it odd that since 2009 you've changed company 7 times. Thats almost every year.
Why did you keep jumping from one to another? Surely staying at one would have made more sense, you may have even been promoted to a manager.
Reply 32
All the management care about is increasing profits so they can maximise shareholder value. They don't call them fat cats for nothing!
Reply 33
Original post by fg45344
Our place has no union, the staff have no voice. Have you ever worked in a fast paced retail environment?

I worked in Sainsburys while I was training. I can appreciate the problem you have. What's stopping you from working in a hospital environment? Presumably there you would be required to use your skills a bit more.
Original post by FXX

Our union is a joke it is called the AOP -Association of optometrists. They represent optometrists AND ALSO REPRESENT OUR EMPLOYERS which is a joke a complete conflict of interest. They and the GOC know full well what is happening and do nothing. Many of their board directors are actually practise owners themselves and want it all to continue.

I dont know about optometry being 24 hours i mean most dentists i know work mon-fri and you are much more likely to have a dental emergency. Selling someone glasses is NOT an emergency. Even if someone has a true eye emergency/injury/infection we cant do anything anyway - they have to go hospital anyway so its pointless.

The only reason opticians open on weekends is for PROFIT - nothing else no bs health reason
Original post by fg45344
All the management care about is increasing profits so they can maximise shareholder value. They don't call them fat cats for nothing!

Not to be rude but you're derailing the thread a bit, this is about optometry not pharmacy, there is already a big thread on pharmacy.

Also OP what made you interested in optom to begin with, and what would you have done instead?

If you dont want your own practice, how about further study to be an ophthalmologist, would be a much more varied role treating eye diseases in a hospital setting.
You may as well become a master in your profession, starting scratch in a new career would be an epic waste of time put in already
Reply 36
Original post by FXX
I worked in Sainsburys while I was training. I can appreciate the problem you have. What's stopping you from working in a hospital environment? Presumably there you would be required to use your skills a bit more.

If you read before you'll see I'm not a pharmacist, but a dispenser who works 8 hours a week. I'm an economics PhD student (don't ask why i'm in a pharmacy, it's some side income).

In the future we won't have this retail problem, as robots will replace the humans on tills. Or just self checkouts.
Reply 37
Our union is a joke it is called the AOP -Association of optometrists. They represent optometrists AND ALSO REPRESENT OUR EMPLOYERS which is a joke a complete conflict of interest. They and the GOC know full well what is happening and do nothing. Many of their board directors are actually practise owners themselves and want it all to continue.

I dont know about optometry being 24 hours i mean most dentists i know work mon-fri and you are much more likely to have a dental emergency. Selling someone glasses is NOT an emergency. Even if someone has a true eye emergency/injury/infection we cant do anything anyway - they have to go hospital anyway so its pointless.

The only reason opticians open on weekends is for PROFIT - nothing else no bs health reason

My point was you can't argue the working hours are rubbish when many health professions have to work more unsociable hours. I get your point that you aren't needed for emergencies. In which case, £40k after five years is quite good going - although I assume there's no progression after that?

The union situation sounds pretty poor though. I can see why you'd be pissed at that.
Reply 38
Original post by ALittleLost25
Not to be rude but you're derailing the thread a bit, this is about optometry not pharmacy, there is already a big thread on pharmacy.

Also OP what made you interested in optom to begin with, and what would you have done instead?

If you dont want your own practice, how about further study to be an ophthalmologist, would be a much more varied role treating eye diseases in a hospital setting.
You may as well become a master in your profession, starting scratch in a new career would be an epic waste of time put in already

The problem is the same in either profession. Pharmacists are treated like **** in community pharmacies (think of boots, lloyds, asda etc).

At least I tell my colleagues at work, my workplace stock is simply not investable, I wouldn't own it. Trying to pump that stock up is the pain and blood of millions behind it.

Not sure if trolling or just a bit dense now tbh.
Of course its for profit.
No one has ever said to themselves, 'Oh i suddenly have gone blind in one eye, better get to Specsavers so they can have a look'.
Your job is to correct vision, that is what an optometrist does. Contact lens and glasses cost money, hence businesses like Specsavers exist.
If you want to work for a genuine health reason, you should have become an ophthalmologist who save peoples sight and treat infections/diseases.

Did you not research where optom grads go after uni? You are trained to correct sight in healthy eyes, nothing more nothing less. People go to the high street for that, which is RETAIL.
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest