The Student Room Group

Which unis for Zoology?

Hi everyone!

I'm planning on studying zoology and I've looked into quite a few universities already. However, I'm finding it difficult to limit my choices to only five, so I would love to hear advice from anyone. I understand that what's most important is to learn about the courses and the universities myself but still, I think it's best to get as much information as I possibly can!:tongue:

These are the universities I'm considering at the moment:
Bristol
Manchester
Sheffield
Leeds
Nottingham
Birmingham
Exeter
Glasgow

Does anyone have any advice or thoughts on these unis? Are they all around the same level academically? I'm quite interested in animal behaviour, evolution, and maybe the ecological side of things. But I'm not as interested at a more molecular level, or anything overly biochemical. (Evidently, I'm not very good at Chemistry, haha.:colondollar: I'm not studying Chemistry at the moment either.) A more animal-focused course would also be nice, instead of Zoology courses that have lots of modules about plants.
It would be great to hear about any personal experiences from you guys!:redface:

Thanks!!!

P.S. I'm an IB student from Hong Kong
You really need to look at modules and course structure and work out which courses interest you most. No one on here can tell you what course is best for you. I wouldn't rule out studying molecular level stuff as it is required for your basic understanding of anything biology and you'd struggle to find a course that doesn't include it.
Original post by alleycat393
You really need to look at modules and course structure and work out which courses interest you most. No one on here can tell you what course is best for you. I wouldn't rule out studying molecular level stuff as it is required for your basic understanding of anything biology and you'd struggle to find a course that doesn't include it.

Thank you very much for your reply and advice. Looking at modules is what I've been doing lately, it's just that it would be very helpful to also hear from students who actually have experience in taking the courses. I think there's only so much you can know from the uni websites.:smile: Especially since it's a bit difficult for me to visit all of the universities with me living in Hong Kong.:tongue:
I'm aware that studying molecular level stuff is very important because it's the basis for everything after all. That's why I said I'm just not very interested in anything "overly" biochemical because different universities may have different focuses.
Original post by JessicaApple
Thank you very much for your reply and advice. Looking at modules is what I've been doing lately, it's just that it would be very helpful to also hear from students who actually have experience in taking the courses. I think there's only so much you can know from the uni websites.:smile: Especially since it's a bit difficult for me to visit all of the universities with me living in Hong Kong.:tongue:
I'm aware that studying molecular level stuff is very important because it's the basis for everything after all. That's why I said I'm just not very interested in anything "overly" biochemical because different universities may have different focuses.

You'll struggle to find students on here from those specific courses. Your better bet is to contact the uni with questions you have and to see if they can put you in touch with current students including those from your country. No one on here can tell you which uni will be good for what you want/need.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending