The Student Room Group

need a job for 6 weeks, no experience :s

Hey all,

I need a job over the next 6 weeks but i've got no clue how to go about finding vacancies and applying (especially when I have no experience). So my question is how do I go about getting a job?

(up until now I used to tutor to earn money, but having just finished A2 i'd rather steer clear of education for a few weeks)

thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kelefi
Hey all,

I need a job over the next 6 weeks but i've got no clue how to go about finding vacancies and applying (especially when I have no experience). So my question is how do I go about getting a job?

(up until now I used to tutor to earn money, but having just finished A2 i'd rather steer clear of education for a few weeks)

thanks!

-Look on indeed. This is how I've got all my jobs.
-Think about places close to you and ask.
-Go to websites (clothing, restaurant chains) scroll to the bottom and press 'careers' and apply for vacancies.

Lots of clothing places do summer sales and might employ temp staff for these Next being one of them. I did a 5 week temp job last summer with Next.

I hope this helps? :smile:

Edit: If you don't have a CV you should probably do that first.
Reply 2
Original post by amingo26
-Go to websites (clothing, restaurant chains) scroll to the bottom and press 'careers' and apply for vacancies.

Lots of clothing places do summer sales and might employ temp staff for these Next being one of them. I did a 5 week temp job last summer with Next.

Thanks :smile: So at which point do I tell them that I want a job for only 6 weeks?
Erm... If you're applying for a permanent position, probably don't ever.

Try looking for temporary work first (obviously) but if there's nothing, then apply to permanent but don't tell them you only want the job for 6 weeks. When it's your time to leave/quit just say that the job wasn't for you and you think you should leave to do the company/business a favour.
Original post by kelefi
Thanks :smile: So at which point do I tell them that I want a job for only 6 weeks?

unless it's a temp job no one is going to hire you for 6 weeks, tbh they will probably ask what you're doing next year and I wouldn't lie but it's not going to be easy to find something for just 6 weeks

perhaps try places you could transfer when you move to uni? i.e. larger companies

also, you do have experience, as a tutor - that still demonstrates that you can turn up on time, be reliable, punctual, mature, get along with people etc
Reply 5
Original post by doodle_333
unless it's a temp job no one is going to hire you for 6 weeks, tbh they will probably ask what you're doing next year and I wouldn't lie but it's not going to be easy to find something for just 6 weeks

perhaps try places you could transfer when you move to uni? i.e. larger companies

also, you do have experience, as a tutor - that still demonstrates that you can turn up on time, be reliable, punctual, mature, get along with people etc

thanks

a temp job is pretty much all I want, something to earn some money and fill up my day without just lazing around doing nothing productive haha.

I do plan on finding a job when in uni, but considering i'll be moving away from home i'm going to apply after i've got my timetable etc. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by kelefi

You don't unless they directly ask you, you'll only be going for temporary positions anyway so it isn't like you're going for permanent more competitive roles.
If the job advert says permanent and you intend on leaving after 6 weeks, they can sue you for the money you would have been paid for the final 2 weeks. Just find a temporary one
Reply 8
go for ' easy' options like mc donalds ect and whilst you're there you can apply for other positions
Reply 9

I've applied for jobs on indeed for the past year and have not received a single interview why do you think this is?
Original post by Sayfi
I've applied for jobs on indeed for the past year and have not received a single interview why do you think this is?

Haha me too. Most of the ones I apply to I never hear from again.

The best ones to go for are the ones that when you click on them take you to another website (such as the company's one) rather than just sending your CV through Indeed. That's the only tip I have really!

Maybe check your CV or cover letter to see if that's the issue? Not saying it is but might be worth having a read of it.
Reply 11
Haha me too. Most of the ones I apply to I never hear from again.

The best ones to go for are the ones that when you click on them take you to another website (such as the company's one) rather than just sending your CV through Indeed. That's the only tip I have really!

Maybe check your CV or cover letter to see if that's the issue? Not saying it is but might be worth having a read of it.

I've applied to all sorts of jobs. What really annoys me is when you apply for a job and they don't get back to you then after a few weeks they advertise the exact same job which you applied for. Primark does this A LOT.
Original post by Sayfi
I've applied to all sorts of jobs. What really annoys me is when you apply for a job and they don't get back to you then after a few weeks they advertise the exact same job which you applied for. Primark does this A LOT.

Don't get me started on Primark. I've applied there soooo many times!

To be honest, I feel like it's a good job because I don't really want to work there anyway. Too much mess and it's always too warm. I don't know how I'd cope:ahhhhh:
just volunteer at this stage so you've got at least *some* experience for next year
Original post by kelefi
Hey all,

thanks!

I'm being brutally honest here but you've left it a bit late. Your best bet is to sign on with a temping agency, in my opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Don't get me started on Primark. I've applied there soooo many times!

To be honest, I feel like it's a good job because I don't really want to work there anyway. Too much mess and it's always too warm. I don't know how I'd cope:ahhhhh:

Thats true... Ive got a friend who works there he said he got a job their becuase he was friend with another colleague. He gave his CV in and now works there. Im gonna try giving my CV into different shops. I asked the manager of my local Wynsors if they had any vacancies she said there will be soon. Hopefully they will hire me :redface:
Original post by Sayfi
Thats true... Ive got a friend who works there he said he got a job their becuase he was friend with another colleague. He gave his CV in and now works there. Im gonna try giving my CV into different shops. I asked the manager of my local Wynsors if they had any vacancies she said there will be soon. Hopefully they will hire me :redface:

Hopefully!! Good luck :smile:
Reply 17
Hopefully!! Good luck :smile:

Thank and good luck to you :smile:too
Original post by Sayfi

I work in Primark and It took them a while to get back to me, the reason they do it is because staff are leaving all the time so they're constantly hiring for the same vacancy to replace the staff that have left.
Original post by Jackieox
I work in Primark and It took them a while to get back to me, the reason they do it is because staff are leaving all the time so they're constantly hiring for the same vacancy to replace the staff that have left.

How do you cope!? Even being in there shopping for 30 minutes is my idea of a nightmare. I applaud you :clap2:

But yeah, I suppose. I'm still secretly kind of glad nobody ever got back to me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending