The Student Room Group

What A levels should I choose

I can only choose 3 a levels & I defiantly want to study veterinary medicine. I will defiantly choose biology & chemistry. I really don't know what to choose as my third subject. I really want to do PE but is it academic enough? Or should I do Physics! Would I have any chance of getting in if I did PE??
Original post by lucyashworth
I can only choose 3 a levels & I defiantly want to study veterinary medicine. I will defiantly choose biology & chemistry. I really don't know what to choose as my third subject. I really want to do PE but is it academic enough? Or should I do Physics! Would I have any chance of getting in if I did PE??

Go with what your heart tells you. As an aspiring medic (but not a vet medic, so take what I say with a pinch of salt), most unis don't mind what your third subject is so long as you've got your chem and bio and you're on track to get the grades.
Check individual uni websites to be sure, especially ones you're interested in - some might get a bit arsey about the third one having to be 'academic' or something to that effect (I'm fairly certain this isn't a thing, but you never know).

What I would advise you to definitely not do is:
a) Pick a subject that you don't necessarily enjoy/aren't confident in your ability in because you think it'd 'go well' with chem and bio
b) Listen to people who advise you to do a) (on nearly every thread like this people who've never even thought about applying for med/vet/dentistry do this even though they have no idea what they're on about).

Unis will NOT pick someone who does maths over someone who does eg. english lit just because of the subjects they're doing.
Also, physics might 'go well' with chemistry because of a couple bits of the syllabus that cross over, but if you hate/aren't as good at physics you won't do as well in it. If you actually like a subject you're more likely to put the work in and nail that A.

TL;DR go for it with the PE, just do a bit of research to double check first.
LightwoXd has said everything that needs saying very well, and for reference here's the vet school A-Level requirements.

For the record I know both people in vet school that got in with physics as their third, and those that got in with PE. PE is more rigorous than people think, and from what I hear it gives you a decent head start at learning anatomy/general locomotion.

If you have any queries about A level physics give me a shout, 'cause that's what I did.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending