Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Adult Nursing Degree, will I be OK?

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

Hi everyone,

I have been given a conditional offer from London South Bank University, I am now panicking if I am academically smart enough although I'm still going to give it my all regardless.

Let me tell you a bit about my academic background. I left school at the age of 16 with very few GCSE's, E in maths, D in english, C in graphic design and a few others with even worse results. Now at the age of 28, with 2 children and having been a carer in a residential care home for the past 2 years I have decided to pursue my dream of becoming a nurse.

I looked in nursing degree's last year and obviously didn't meet the entry requirements, I have spent the last 10 months doing an Access to Nursing course which I passed with a result of 6 passes, 33 merits and 6 distinctions, I have sat my English GCSE (which I am waiting for the results for), I have passed my Functional Skills Maths Level 2 and passed it and also as a back up in case I didn't get my C in the English GCSE I have sat Functional Skills Level 2 and also passed.

I have done all of this whilst still working and having two children aged 4 and 8, it has been the hardest 10 months of my whole entire life and I felt as though I literally just managed to drag myself through it daily, however I have managed to do it 🎉.

I am just so worried that I've worked this hard and I'm going to get to uni and not be able to do it. Is there any one who has been in my position or similar? Or if anyone can share what it's really like?

Thank you 😀

If you meet the entry requirements you should be fine. It sounds like you've done plenty of work and study and have had plenty of life experience as well. Just work hard and manage your time well. Good luck!
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 18, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.