Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Mum's drinking worries me...

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad course - waste of time? 17-10-2016

My mum isn't an alcoholic. I am very sure of that.

However, she will occasionally have have a glass of wine. Obviously a normal person would not be that affected by just one glass, but my mum seems to have an extremely low tolerance to alcohol.
    She becomes extremely spaced out, almost like she's taken drugs, and becomes rude and aggressive. This is not like her sober self at all. On some occasions I've had to ring family members to come round (it's just her and I) to calm her down and get her to bed.
    She lies about when she's had a glass because she knows I'll have a go at her and make her feel bad. I only act this was because I'm sick of being a mum to her and having to sort her out, however it is extremely obvious when she has had a drink.
    The morning after she is very remorseful, usually cries, throws any wine that's left away and promises to be tea-total. She says she doesn't know why she drinks in the first place as she doesn't enjoy it. We also cannot really afford the luxury of her buying wine like this either.

My uncle ( her brother) is an alcoholic and almost died a few years ago. (He's now been in recovery for 2 years.) I don't know why this doesn't deter her?

Any suggestions to help me stop her drinking would be appreciated

If you see any alcohol in the house throw it away straight away without asking for permission. Be firm and consistent
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 18, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you want to know what your pet is thinking about you?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.