The Student Room Group

GCSE additional science

What is additional science like to do? How much harder is additional science than to core science? Do you do core science and additional science at the same time or just additional because currently I'm doing core science and I'm not sure if I will stay in core science or start doing additional science for Year 11. Is it really hard to do? What type of things do you learn in additional science, like what you don't learn in core science?
Reply 1
This is what I know: Core Science is done in year 10 (then you do GCSE of this core science in year 10)& Additional is done in year 11.Its true that additional science is harder than core but I do OCR BOARD and at the same time grade boundries are relatively low so you may end up with an A in core and an A* in additional.I hope you find this helpful.
Actually, I, somehow, am finding Additional easier than Core, especially for Physics and Chemistry. I guess it's mostly subject to personal opinion, but I'd say that it is intended that Additional is harder than Core. Really, Additional is looking at concepts in more detail, and in some ways adds onto your core knowledge.
(edited 7 years ago)
yeah, I found Additional easier, especially Chemistry (I've just done my GCSE's). There are different topics in Additional and personally, I found it more interesting and easier to understand than Core Science which I did in Year 9.
Reply 4
I do triple science and honestly core and additional were very similar for me, obviously more to remember though and we all have different capabilities, but I think anyone surpassing core can do additional even if they require practise and more revision, don't worry you should be fine

Quick Reply

Latest