The Student Room Group

How many marks are quotations?

Hi guys. I've been stressing myself out lately.
You see, I've finally finished the AS mock exam for the edexcel English language and literature exam. During the language paper, I was stuck for time, and realised I couldn't write out whole two sentences (different lenghted syntax) just to compare them, so I made the idiotic mistake of not including the two quotes.
So I was wondering how many marks are quotes in an english language paper for A levels?
If you were to forget to use a quote in a paragraph, how many marks would you lose out of thirty?
Thanks.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hey,can't be much of a help but, after doing GCSEs, quotes are a MAJOR thing. They hold a lot of the marks..and i'm sure it is the same at AS+A2.
Reply 2
I was hoping beause i wrote more than what was needed, one little quotation may not be that bad. But guess i'll see at results day. Thanks.
Original post by Hashbrown98
You see, I've finally finished the AS mock exam for the edexcel English language and literature exam. During the language paper, I was stuck for time, and realised I couldn't write out whole two sentences (different lenghted syntax) just to compare them, so I made the idiotic mistake of not including the two quotes.
So I was wondering how many marks are quotes in an english language paper for A levels?
If you were to forget to use a quote in a paragraph, how many marks would you lose out of thirty?
Thanks.

The mark scheme is not fixed, but fluid. You won't lose X amount of marks for not using quotes, because the mark scheme uses bands and the 'best fit' approach. Examiners will mark the merits of your response and then see how impeding your lack of quotes is, so you really can't know.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hashbrown98
Thanks.

I have a tip for you, if your quote is too long all you need to do is something like "AS mock exam for [...] exam." If you put an ellipsis encased with parentheses then it will cut down the amount of time you have to write it. I do it all the time in my Literature exams. Or when you do analyse it you can simply refer to a smaller quote and then say "line 20" rather than quoting the majority of line 20. It saves so much time!
Reply 5
if I I did a quote like ' then we went to...." to show it carries on is that acceptable ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending