Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Is research prize from Italy taxable in the UK for a non-domicile resident?

Announcements Posted on
Last day to win £100 of Amazon vouchers - don't miss out! Take our quick survey to enter 24-10-2016

I feel it's a complicated wording question.

I am an international student studying in the UK as a PhD student. I received a research prize from an Italian academic society for training purposes (I am needed to spend a month in Italy doing research). The prize is worth €3000 and subject to 30% Italian income taxation.

The coordinator from the society indicated that I could ask for a certificate of residence from the UK tax authority to avoid double taxation. I am still very perplexed about my situation.

1. Would I be taxed in the UK? (I am also a recipient of a PhD tax-free studentship)

2. Has anyone ever required the certificate from the HMRC? Can you please share your experience and the process?
    3. I am in Italy now so I am not sure what I could do. If the Italian side deducts the taxation, will I be able to claim it back when I return to the UK?

Thank you!

Please let me know if there is any source of information that I could read.

Well firstly in general academic awards, studentships, stipends etc are usually exempt from taxation in the UK so you should be okay on that front. When in the UK visit a Citizen's Advice Bureau (they're everywhere) as they an give you the best advice on UK taxes. This is their page on taxable and non-taxable income.

There is a page on Italian income tax here it has a link to not paying twice if you live outside Italy but this is in Italian (not sure if you're Italian or not!). Just in case you don't speak Italian I found the one relating to the UK here in English.

There is a longer document here but I can't vouch for it's accuracy. Based on this it seems that you should be taxed in the UK as you (I presume) are domiciled in the UK, in which case you should get a full exemption.

I would get the details of your award and phone HMRC in the UK and the equivalent taxation body in Italy to get to the bottom of it.

I hope some of this is helpful!
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 20, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather find
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.