The Student Room Group

how much do apprenticeships pay ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
There, like any career path, are huge variations in pay. I previously worked for an apprenticeship training provider - salaries depended on the employer but varied from £8k-£18k for A-level equivalent roles.
We offered digital marketing and IT apprenticeship roles and worked with businesses of all sizes - each with their own benefits.

Whilst some smaller businesses paid less they gave great experience. Apprentices learned quicker, were involved in bigger projects and ultimately enjoyed being in a fast paced, fast growth business...imagine being employee number 6 in facebook!
Others worked in bigger businesses...they gained more from on the job training, had plenty of support and worked on projects that arguably didn't matter as much if they failed.
I saw people enjoying and taking massive benefit from both types of companies. I keep in touch with quite a few of the apprentices that I worked with and most have gone on to bigger and better things - either within the company they did their apprenticeship, others or even to university.

My personal advice would be to take a broader view of apprenticeships. Money is important but you should think longer term. Is there a career opportunity, will you enjoy it and will you learn the skills you need.

Its also worth considering the cost of apprenticeships to a business - In general terms a business will recruit people with the necessary skills to do a job - so why take on apprentices?
Businesses will take on apprentices for a number of reasons:
- its hard to recruit people with the necessary skills
- there aren't people with the necessary skills - long term shortages (Big problem in areas like digital).
- Its the right thing to do - lots do it because of this.
- they want to develop a different culture - new ideas, fresh thinking.

When a business is offering apprenticeships for the right reasons they understand the additional cost of the programme to them...its not cheap labour; it can be expensive for them in the short term.
- getting up to speed...it often takes 3-6 months for any apprentice to start being super productive on the job.
- management - companies have to invest more time with apprentices compared to a skilled hire; its expected but that additional management time does come at a cost.
- time out training - good apprentices become extremely valuable to the business. Its often a loss to the business when apprentices are out in the classroom.
- on the job training - good employers will be keeping a close eye to your apprenticeship programme. Often apprentices will have to complete on the job training or projects even if they aren't a priority to the business at the time.

Finding the right employer is important. Good ones are in it for the right reasons and invest more than money into apprenticeships.

hope this helps :smile:
Reply 21
It honestly depends: some pay very little and other pay a lot . Many apprenticeships in the IT sector (in particular Software Engineering, Web Dev and Cyber Security) pay more than £120 weekly, as well as apprenticeships in assurance/audit (Nation Audit Office currently have 12 places for apprenticeship with starting salary of £23k in London) .

I've been offered an apprenticeship after doing work experience a few months back at a small company for web developing (with a starting salary of £14k ), though I had to turn it dowm since I want to go uni :cry:
(edited 7 years ago)
The one I'm starting is £306 a week starting salary and they're paying me degree and professional management qualification fees etc so it depends on what scheme you're doing. New gov't guidelines on apprentices should stop the extremely poor pay and poor quality ones.
Original post by fefssdf
is it true that the pay for apprentices is really poor and borderline taking the piss

The Highest Apprentices earns is at around £400 a week. It depends on the apprenticeship and the level of apprenticeship
Original post by fefssdf
is it true that the pay for apprentices is really poor and borderline taking the piss

I'm currently doing my Level 2 Apprenticeship in Business and Admin. I work for a HR and Payroll department. Feel free to ask me anything! :smile:
Original post by kkboyk
It honestly depends: some pay very little and other pay a lot . Many apprenticeships in the IT sector (in particular Software Engineering, Web Dev and Cyber Security) pay more than £120 weekly, as well as apprenticeships in assurance/audit (Nation Audit Office currently have 12 places for apprenticeship with starting salary of £23k in London) .

I've been offered an apprenticeship after doing work experience a few months back at a small company for web developing (with a starting salary of £14k ), though I had to turn it dowm since I want to go uni :cry:

WHAT!? How come you didn't take the job, save up x amount of money/get as much experience as you can. Then head off to Uni?
Reply 26
Original post by cucumberhater
WHAT!? How come you didn't take the job, save up x amount of money/get as much experience as you can. Then head off to Uni?

Well mostly because I am still uncertain on whether or not I should continue on pursuing a career in programming or what to do in the future. Money isn't much of a problem since I get the full loan, and the uni I've chosen are very cheap. Plus I really can't wait to start learning more advanced Mathematics (since I will be doing a Mathematics degree).

I am planning on building up a portfolio throughout my time in uni, and getting a part time job in web development hopefully.

Quick Reply

Latest