The Student Room Group

how much do apprenticeships pay ?

is it true that the pay for apprentices is really poor and borderline taking the piss

Scroll to see replies

£32 or so for a 9-5.

It's not good by anymeans, but it's better than nothing and you're getting experience at the same time. The experience is what really counts.
Reply 2
Original post by TorpidPhil
£32 or so for a 9-5.

It's not good by anymeans, but it's better than nothing and you're getting experience at the same time. The experience is what really counts.

wow, I get basically double that for my current part time job, and I am getting experience at the same time
At the moment from what I have heard they seem to be hit and miss, as to how much the 'employer' invests into your training.
Original post by fefssdf
wow, I get basically double that for my current part time job, and I am getting experience at the same time

But experience doing what? A dead end job that pretty much anyone can do and has done? Most likely.

Again, better than having no experience but an apprenticeship is offering something unique in that aspect.

What were you considering, why, and how old are you?
Reply 5
But experience doing what? A dead end job that pretty much anyone can do and has done? Most likely.

Again, better than having no experience but an apprenticeship is offering something unique in that aspect.

well I should be going to uni but I'm just interested in how much is on offer with apprenticeships cause you never know what will happen, and yh i get what you mean with the experience
Reply 6
Original post by hellodave5
At the moment from what I have heard they seem to be hit and miss, as to how much the 'employer' invests into your training.

yh I think some must be good but for others people are probably better off just trying to gain employment and working up from there
Original post by fefssdf
well I should be going to uni but I'm just interested in how much is on offer with apprenticeships cause you never know what will happen, and yh i get what you mean with the experience

Personally I wish I'd have done an apprenticeship rather than just brainlessly going with the default of "let's go to university" just because that's what everyone else was doing.

Uni isn't all its cracked up to be and there are plenty of career pathways you can go down that don't involve it. Graduate jobs aren't all they're cracked up to be either and there's only a handful of actual university students who would enjoy that lifestyle in the long-term. And that handful is usually still more than there are graduate job positions...

I did not know though going to uni what I wanted to do for a career, I suppose you are the same?
Reply 8
Personally I wish I'd have done an apprenticeship rather than just brainlessly going with the default of "let's go to university" just because that's what everyone else was doing.

Uni isn't all its cracked up to be and there are plenty of career pathways you can go down that don't involve it. Graduate jobs aren't all they're cracked up to be either and there's only a handful of actual university students who would enjoy that lifestyle in the long-term. And that handful is usually still more than there are graduate job positions...

I did not know though going to uni what I wanted to do for a career, I suppose you are the same?

I want to be a maths teacher hence I need a degree and if i didn't want to do this then i wouldn't just be going off to uni for the sake of it, and would probably just keep my part time job and try and move to full time
Reply 9

Some do. Some don't.

When you see Next offering a "Stock assistant apprenticeship" at £2.35/hr you know that somewhere along the line the system has messed up.

Obviously, that doesn't compare to someone like Rolls Royce offering a 2 year apprenticeship giving you qualifications and the realistic prospect of a good long term job.

MI5 has apprenticeships from A-Level leavers. It isn't a dead end job. Some might be.
Reply 11
Original post by Drewski
Some do. Some don't.

When you see Next offering a "Stock assistant apprenticeship" at £2.35/hr you know that somewhere along the line the system has messed up.

Obviously, that doesn't compare to someone like Rolls Royce offering a 2 year apprenticeship giving you qualifications and the realistic prospect of a good long term job.

I know this is where the system has gone wrong and it lets companies exploit young people thinking that they have a chance of a career in retail when in reality they're just gonna be treated like any old employee and will be earning less :frown: I think a lot of people with just standard gcse's and stuff would be better off just applying for proper jobs instead of doing retail style apprenticeships
Original post by Drewski
Some do. Some don't.

Haha, most definitely. You have to be wise with where you - researching the firm beforehand and of course the actual placement itself.

Original post by fefssdf
I want to be a maths teacher hence I need a degree and if i didn't want to do this then i wouldn't just be going off to uni for the sake of it, and would probably just keep my part time job and try and move to full time

Well you need to try and get some sort of career prospect as soon as possible really. I mean, you're young so even if you were to work full time mostly aimlessly and enjoy the next two years you should be fine and you could save loads living at home while working full time. But where do you go from there? Apprenticeships are quite vocational though so you do need to know at least which sector of the economy your career will be in... Not to say you can't use one to get one career until you're 30 and then change career. Of course you can do that and you'll be able to do it quite easy with all your years of experience!

Original post by saraxh
MI5 has apprenticeships from A-Level leavers. It isn't a dead end job. Some might be.

I didn't say apprenticeships were! I said whatever he's working now, part-time that pays him more than an apprenticeship, is likely a dead end job given his age/qualifications. Apprenticeships, such as that, offer something unique. See, that would have been ****ing perfect or me upon leaving college. Why does the world not inform us of these things >_<
Haha, most definitely. You have to be wise with where you - researching the firm beforehand and of course the actual placement itself.

Well you need to try and get some sort of career prospect as soon as possible really. I mean, you're young so even if you were to work full time mostly aimlessly and enjoy the next two years you should be fine and you could save loads living at home while working full time. But where do you go from there? Apprenticeships are quite vocational though so you do need to know at least which sector of the economy your career will be in... Not to say you can't use one to get one career until you're 30 and then change career. Of course you can do that and you'll be able to do it quite easy with all your years of experience!

I didn't say apprenticeships were! I said whatever he's working now, part-time that pays him more than an apprenticeship, is likely a dead end job given his age/qualifications. Apprenticeships, such as that, offer something unique. See, that would have been ****ing perfect or me upon leaving college. Why does the world not inform us of these things >_<

There's even a House Of Commons Parliamentary apprentice that I had no clue about until 2 months ago :smile:
some apprenticeships pay as little as they can £2.something, others will pay a bit better

you mostly need to be selective about what you're getting from them... there are plenty of apprenticeships now where companies have basically swapped a normal pay job for an apprenticeship so they can get the same work for 1/3 of the price and every year they just sack all their old apprentices and replace them, you won't learn anything you couldn't learn just getting a normal job and you will lose your job 12 months down the line... other apprenticeships keep people on as proper staff after a year and teach people really valuable skills
My apprenticeship pays in 5 figures from the start.
So some pay really well!
Others are minimum wage.
So it depends on which one you go for in the end.
My apprenticeship was minimum wage but after a year I got kept on at the company getting paid £14,000 a year (19 at the time) and got a qualification out of it.
Reply 17
Original post by Anonymous
My apprenticeship was minimum wage but after a year I got kept on at the company getting paid £14,000 a year (19 at the time) and got a qualification out of it.

ah thats great to here ; thats a decent salary for a 19 year old :biggrin:
one of my friends got an apprenticeship in bricklaying and after paying for travel he took home £200 a week so £40 for a 9-5
Original post by fefssdf
is it true that the pay for apprentices is really poor and borderline taking the piss

The pay honestly depends on the apprenticeship. I think on average you should be expecting to make about £8,000 to £12,000 a year. Some will pay substantially more (£15,000-£16,000) but entry to these is very competitive.

I don't think you could call the rate of pay taking the piss. After all, you are being paid to learn, while usually you have to pay to learn. Granted, it won't be enough to support you but the expectation is that you will still be living at home with parents, unless the apprenticeship provides accommodation.

Plus, many apprenticeships will give you an entry route into a job which will pay much more.

Quick Reply

Latest