The Student Room Group

Asperger's Checklist

I think I may have Asperger's.

Can people write down checklists of things that would make them think someone had Asperger's so I can see what ones I identify with, etc.

Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I think I may have Asperger's.

Can people write down checklists of things that would make them think someone had Asperger's so I can see what ones I identify with, etc.

Thanks.

The Great Ormond Street website has a list on symptoms on Aspergers: http://www.gosh.nhs.uk/medical-information-0/search-medical-conditions/aspergers-syndrome

However no-one on TSR will be able to diagnose you since we're not trained health professionals so it's probably best to see your GP about something like this :smile:
You have to remember we're not all the same. What makes you think you have it? There's a lot of crossover between Aspergers and mental health conditions, such as OCD.
Reply 3
Original post by Tiger Rag
You have to remember we're not all the same.

That's why I wanted to ask TSR users their idea of what it is, to get a variety so I can see the various indications.

I've looked on websites, etc, and I seem to have some of the indications, such as social awkwardness, etc. However, I recently took an online test which said I wasn't autistic, so I'm not sure.
That's why I wanted to ask TSR users their idea of what it is, to get a variety so I can see the various indications.

I've looked on websites, etc, and I seem to have some of the indications, such as social awkwardness, etc. However, I recently took an online test which said I wasn't autistic, so I'm not sure.

Those tests aren't accurate. But if you have social awkwardness, that could be something like social anxiety?
Reply 5
Those tests aren't accurate. But if you have social awkwardness, that could be something like social anxiety?

I thought social anxiety was a sympton of Asperger's? I probably have social anxiety, whatever way.
I thought social anxiety was a sympton of Asperger's? I probably have social anxiety, whatever way.

Not always. And you'd have to have far more symptoms for a diagnosis of Aspergers.
Reply 7
Not always. And you'd have to have far more symptoms for a diagnosis of Aspergers.

To be honest, I don't really see the point of getting diagnosed with Asperger's in the first place. It's not a mental illness, it's just a difference. I don't get why people define people being different as needing a diagnosis.
To be honest, I don't really see the point of getting diagnosed with Asperger's in the first place. It's not a mental illness, it's just a difference. I don't get why people define people being different as needing a diagnosis.

Because for some of us, it is actually quite a serious a problem.
Reply 9
Because for some of us, it is actually quite a serious a problem.

Interesting. I do wonder, then, why they put such a broad range of symptoms under one label.
Interesting. I do wonder, then, why they put such a broad range of symptoms under one label.

Because as with every other condition, it varies person by person.

Quick Reply

Latest