The Student Room Group

Am I depressed?

First and foremost I realise that really nobody on here can really answer this question with any kind of definable authority but I would appreciate your opinions regardless. To begin with I am not suicidal in any way, shape or form, I have a vision and goal for my life (to eventually become a doctor)

My problem is that I've suffered through quite a few family deaths since 2011 (four, to be precise) and naturally in some ways or others this affected my academic achievement in both my a-levels and my degree. I've resat some modules of my a-levels twice now, the last time I failed because I didn't revise hard enough and I'm pretty sure this time around I will have failed aswell. I know that I should have revised but I just have this mindset of 'what's the point in trying I will probably fail anyway' so I procrastinate endlessly and then nothing gets done. I just don't see the point in trying anymore because I always think I'll fail. The annoying thing is I've gotten B's and even A* grades in some units so I know I'm capable of it but yet my brain ignores that and concentrates on the negatives.

I just think that my future will be boring and unhappy regardless of what happens. Jobs are inherently boring by nature regardless of how much money you make and especially as I didn't go to a top uni it's highly unlikely I will get one of these high flying high paid job anyway. It's all just seems so useless. Wasted effort

There's also the fact I failed my second year at uni partly because of bereavement and part;y because of again, bad attitude on my part. I think I'm going to fail at everything and be a loser. I don't want to go back to uni because I'm scared I'll fail and waste more SFE money.

TLDR: I think my future is hopeless and that I'll fail at everything I do
Reply 1
Contact your gp, talk about it. They will be able to tell. And talking to someone may help you figure it out
Reply 2
Original post by Devify
Contact your gp, talk about it. They will be able to tell. And talking to someone may help you figure it out

Do you really think it's serious enough to warrant bothering my GP over? I'd rather not unless I really had to, there are others with much more pressing medical matters than I have
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Do you really think it's serious enough to warrant bothering my GP over? I'd rather not unless I really had to, there are others with much more pressing medical matters than I have

You have just as much right to see your GP as anyone else out there :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Deyesy
You have just as much right to see your GP as anyone else out there :smile:

True but I'd still feel stupid for bothering them for something so trivial

I was feeling the exact same way and only went to the gp months later. I felt like the situation wasn't serious enough and that I was probably just overreacting - I've now been diagnosed with severe depression and anxiety. Honestly if you're even considering going to the GP or wondering if you're depressed it's definitely worth it to make an appt and get an expert opinion.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me or check out this blog post I wrote about exactly this: https://refreshinglyxhonest.blogspot.co.uk/2016/07/seeing-doctor-for-depressionanxiety.html?m=1

Hope everything turns out ok :smile: Either way if you're depressed or not I'm sure seeing a GP will help.
Reply 6
Original post by imjustnotnormal
I was feeling the exact same way and only went to the gp months later. I felt like the situation wasn't serious enough and that I was probably just overreacting - I've now been diagnosed with severe depression and anxiety. Honestly if you're even considering going to the GP or wondering if you're depressed it's definitely worth it to make an appt and get an expert opinion.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me or check out this blog post I wrote about exactly this: https://refreshinglyxhonest.blogspot.co.uk/2016/07/seeing-doctor-for-depressionanxiety.html?m=1

Hope everything turns out ok :smile: Either way if you're depressed or not I'm sure seeing a GP will help.

Right, well, thank you for sharing your experience, I'll write this all down and take it to my GP. or grief counsellor
True but I'd still feel stupid for bothering them for something so trivial

This is exactly what I was thinking about last night. I've been trying to build up the confidence to contact my GP about these feelings but I dont want to think that im just wasting their time and I dont know what to do.
I hope everything works out for you x

Quick Reply

Latest