The Student Room Group

My brain won't let me be a teenager.

As the title suggests, I'm having some serious trouble being a normal 17 year old girl. I go to college, I have a part time job and my home situation is bearable.

The thing is I'm an incredibly anxious person. Due to previous situations at home I'm constantly filled with this horrible fear that my mum will die and I'll be left alone to cope. It's a pretty severe separation anxiety. I've missed nearly a month of work, countless days at college and it's rare I even leave the house now.

I have maybe three friends, none of which I could talk about this with. We rarely meet up or do anything. I don't go out and get drunk, I don't party and I never stay out late. I've never had a boyfriend, never even been asked out. I'm a pretty sad excuse for a teenager to be honest and it's all because of this stupid separation anxiety. It ruins my life and I don't know how to stop it. I just want to be able to storm out of the house without worrying whether my mum will die before I get back, or go out all night and get drunk just because I can.

Any advice would be great. I've tried every kind of therapy, plenty of herbal medicines and talking to my mum isn't much use. I'm running out of ideas, and I'm running out of time!
Separate the emotions from the actions. How does your staying home keep her safe? How is your presence protecting her?

Don't look for her approval when you are about to go out. Set small intentional goals, extending the duration of your trip. Note your anxiety when you leave on a scale of 1 to 10. Only go home when your anxiety has gone down. Whilst out aim to reduce your anxiety using breathing techniques: http://www.clinicalhypnotherapy-cardiff.co.uk/breathing-techniques/ Take your time to return home.

Talking to your "friends" about it will help you admit that there is an issue if you trust them. They may even be able to help you manage your anxiety.
Original post by Anonymous
As the title suggests, I'm having some serious trouble being a normal 17 year old girl. I go to college, I have a part time job and my home situation is bearable.

The thing is I'm an incredibly anxious person. Due to previous situations at home I'm constantly filled with this horrible fear that my mum will die and I'll be left alone to cope. It's a pretty severe separation anxiety. I've missed nearly a month of work, countless days at college and it's rare I even leave the house now.

I have maybe three friends, none of which I could talk about this with. We rarely meet up or do anything. I don't go out and get drunk, I don't party and I never stay out late. I've never had a boyfriend, never even been asked out. I'm a pretty sad excuse for a teenager to be honest and it's all because of this stupid separation anxiety. It ruins my life and I don't know how to stop it. I just want to be able to storm out of the house without worrying whether my mum will die before I get back, or go out all night and get drunk just because I can.

Any advice would be great. I've tried every kind of therapy, plenty of herbal medicines and talking to my mum isn't much use. I'm running out of ideas, and I'm running out of time!

You were 21 in one thread and now 17. How does that work ??
Firstly, I dont think you are a sad excuse for a teenager. I have never pulled a girl or gotten out and got drunk yet I am still awesome.

Think what you need to do is go out with your 3 friends, you don't have to drink/party. Go for a walk or shopping or cinema etc.

Quick Reply

Latest