Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Certificate of Higher Education in Computing & IT and mathematics

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

I will be starting TU100, MST124, MST125 October the 1st.

TU100 I'm not worried about, neither too fussed about the work as i feel myself i will be fine.

BUT, and its a big but, to progress on after this I need to do MST124, MST125 also.
    and this I am worried about, I never went to high school, just worked, and currently am doing well.
    but I've decided for a career change and to give university a go.

has anybody done MST124 & MST125 and does anybody have any tips to prepare as looking at the workload etc I will struggle with even MST124

Yes you will struggle with MST124 and MST125, Yes you will want to throw the towel in and quit and yes you will take hours on 1 little question that shouldn't take you hours to complete at which point you think your too dumb to do it. I think I may have even shed a tear and yelled in frustration several times.

It's not easy self studying and it really does require sacrificing your social time when your friends or family are out. I completed 120 credits in a year like your doing and I know I had some low points doing it!

You cannot take any short cuts with MST124, it leaves you with a good groundwork for future modules and I'll add it was my favourite module. You get given thousands of questions and they leave no stoned unturned when explaining things. Its a very well designed crash course of GCSE+A-level mathematics. Do nearly every single question and you will be fine, getting things wrong is a good way to learn.

To assist with your learning :
    Youtube - Khan academy, Search whatever topic you are struggling with
    Better explained . com gives good alternative visual explanations of simple mathematical problems
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 20, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.