The Student Room Group

I was a catfish for 10 years. AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gora The Xplorer
Do you ever do this on TSR and are you doing it right now?

Nah, I'm not established on TSR. I've asked a few things about uni/career and I watch threads now and then but I don't talk to anyone on here. Plus you don't need to reveal yourself, catfishing on this would not be worth the energy. I stopped catfishing in February and the twitter is still there but I don't go back to it.
Original post by zanner
and its so WEIRD not to chat ****

Lmao
Same, accurate, relatable
Original post by Anonymous
I still catfish. Because I'm a pathological liar and see no reason to be honest or 'true to myself'. Not even sure what that is. There is no self, beyond some vague reflection of that around me. An actor. A shallow existence, perhaps, but mine all the same.

Original post by Athematica
wow.. lol

just wow

That is what most serious catfishes are like; pathological liars with no fixed personality. I'm self aware now about what I did. I created my own world; a warped version of reality and I could play any role. My facade was delusional and my lies, but people would believe them because I was charming and they felt beautiful talking to me.
Any more questions?
That is what most serious catfishes are like; pathological liars with no fixed personality. I'm self aware now about what I did. I created my own world; a warped version of reality and I could play any role. My facade was delusional and my lies, but people would believe them because I was charming and they felt beautiful talking to me.

And you felt beautiful in return. It's beautiful how narcissism works. one creates a delusion of grandeur which lures people in, and in turn they find you impressive and you get a sip of what it's like to be a person who is admired and a person who is loved. But you did it because you're not sure whether you can be loved or admired as you are. There's a pertinent difference between us both. My cat fishing is to hide my identity and still contribute/participate in a community. You sought connection through a false persona, because of a deep rooted sense of insecurity about yourself.

I described my existence as shallow. It seems, given what you've described here, yours is better described as hollow.
And you felt beautiful in return. It's beautiful how narcissism works. one creates a delusion of grandeur which lures people in, and in turn they find you impressive and you get a sip of what it's like to be a person who is admired and a person who is loved. But you did it because you're not sure whether you can be loved or admired as you are. There's a pertinent difference between us both. My cat fishing is to hide my identity and still contribute/participate in a community. You sought connection through a false persona, because of a deep rooted sense of insecurity about yourself.

I described my existence as shallow. It seems, given what you've described here, yours is better described as hollow.

You speak the truth. Mine was a mixture of both, though. Delusions of grandeur is certainly something my character possessed.

It was beautiful to have girls hooked on me simply through my sheer charm and charisma. I built trust and entrapped them to the point where they valued my conversation so much that they ignored everyone else and chose me over anyone else in their lives. Popular girls who have people fighting for their attention and only giving it to me..
Having them say that their friends were jealous of me. Having the upper hand and them becoming clingy and protective over me, irresistibly starting the conversation first and doing the chasing.
All of these things fed my ego, which was dangerous for them.

Inevitably I had to break their hearts and make them lose interest in me as things were never going to progress. I got hurt in that process too, but in the final years I became shallow, or 'heartless'. An attitude that screams "you're nothing special and you hold no serious value".
I cut off my absolute favourite person like she meant nothing at all to me. A girl who has an ego as high as the sky, who has hundreds of friends and people fighting for her attention, but she craved my attention because I was so much better than anyone else. I dropped her and left her life and it felt amazing.

I know I am unforgettable and I'll be remembered forever by these girls, regardless of their resentment towards me now, because they will never find a real boy who possesses all of the qualities I displayed.

Anyway, it's fascinating to hear from you as a catfish. I have a few questions for you if you don't mind answering.

Are you fe/male? Age? How long have you been catfishing?
This is the exact reason I don't care for online 'friendships'. So desperately sad.
Original post by hezzlington
This is the exact reason I don't care for online 'friendships'. So desperately sad.

Good, stay away from them for your own sake.
Good, stay away from them for your own sake.

what do you do for a living?

I haven't scrolled through all of the thread.
Original post by hezzlington
what do you do for a living?

I haven't scrolled through all of the thread.

I've just started a grad job as a trainee accountant, I graduate later this summer. Irl is quite 'ordinary'.

Cool, if you have more questions I'll direct you to anything that's already been answered.
Still answering any further questions anyone has.

Catfishes are welcome to share their story also.

Even if you need help spotting a potential catfish, let me know the deets. It will be obvious to me.
Still answering any further questions anyone has.

Catfishes are welcome to share their story also.

Even if you need help spotting a potential catfish, let me know the deets. It will be obvious to me.

I haven't read through all of the posts, but after 10 years you must be quite good at it. Ever thought of posing as a young girl and luring paedophiles, To Catch a Predator-style?
Original post by Mactotaur
I haven't read through all of the posts, but after 10 years you must be quite good at it. Ever thought of posing as a young girl and luring paedophiles, To Catch a Predator-style?

I'd say so.
I got spotted once in the beginning as I was an amateur, but after that I was much more vigilant with my next identity and never got caught.

Also, I recorded and edited together a YouTuber's voice from his videos to send as voice notes to the girls I catfished and they were fully convinced that I was a real guy, as the voice clips were always relevant to the convo.

Hahah, I wouldn't do that myself but I do watch those paedo hunter videos on Youtube. If you care to scroll a few messages above, I explained why I had no interest in speaking to guys through catfishing.
How old were you when you started to Catfish?
Original post by Eternalflames
How old were you when you started to Catfish?

11/12 I believe and it started on MSN.

What sort of red flags are there which tell you someone is a catfish?
You mean a loser trying to make themselves feel powerful?
Original post by Little Popcorns
You mean a loser trying to make themselves feel powerful?

Touchy.
Original post by Gora The Xplorer
What sort of red flags are there which tell you someone is a catfish?

If someone's catfishing, the most obvious thing is that they won't meet/Face time/Skype you and will make any excuse or conversation change to avoid it. Sure, someone may be real and just doesn't want to, but if they constantly give you empty promises to do so and then don't (because they literally can't) that's a red flag.
I couldn't have phone calls and had to make excuses about that also.

If you aren't that close yet, another thing is that they probably won't ever mention their friends/have irl friends on their social media.
I only had a Twitter and on there it's normal to follow people you don't know.
If they have a FB which seems legit (loads of friends and messages, tagged pictures, etc), then they're probably real. FB is too much effort to fake and maintain, but many people just don't like FB in general.
If they don't have insta or snapchat, that's kinda odd. However, my character was seen as a very private and mysterious person.

Someone I catfished was obsessed with taking pictures of everything and so she'd randomly ask me to take a picture of what I was doing at that moment and I'd have to delay it. That's another thing to look out for.

These are the main things I can think of rn and it's a combination of these which will help you figure out whether they're catfishing or not.

Some boy in another thread 'she wants a relationship but not with me' is convinced that he's talking to a real girl but what he described sounded like it could be a catfish tbh, I tried to encourage him to question things more.
If someone's catfishing, the most obvious thing is that they won't meet/Face time/Skype you and will make any excuse or conversation change to avoid it. Sure, someone may be real and just doesn't want to, but if they constantly give you empty promises to do so and then don't (because they literally can't) that's a red flag.
I couldn't have phone calls and had to make excuses about that also.

If you aren't that close yet, another thing is that they probably won't ever mention their friends/have irl friends on their social media.
I only had a Twitter and on there it's normal to follow people you don't know.
If they have a FB which seems legit (loads of friends and messages, tagged pictures, etc), then they're probably real. FB is too much effort to fake and maintain, but many people just don't like FB in general.
If they don't have insta or snapchat, that's kinda odd. However, my character was seen as a very private and mysterious person.

Someone I catfished was obsessed with taking pictures of everything and so she'd randomly ask me to take a picture of what I was doing at that moment and I'd have to delay it. That's another thing to look out for.

These are the main things I can think of rn and it's a combination of these which will help you figure out whether they're catfishing or not.

Some boy in another thread 'she wants a relationship but not with me' is convinced that he's talking to a real girl but what he described sounded like it could be a catfish tbh, I tried to encourage him to question things more.

I assumed the social media presence or lack thereof would be a big giveaway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending